instrumental microphones

I'm interested in purchasing a new microphone for recording saxophone and other instruments. It's gotta sound good, be relatively cheap, and (most importantly) HOOK UP TO MY COMPUTER in some way or form since I don't own a sampler or mixing board to run it through. I've looked around on several different sites, but i'm interested in feedback from people who use this kind of stuff regularly (or semi-regularly). Any suggestions on this?

after a lot of searching, i've decided on purchasing a USB preamp, and then purchasing seperately a condenser mike for my stuff. I'm looking at the M-Audio MobilePre, and the Marshall MXL V57M mike. any suggestions? Keep in mind money issues - I can get both of these, and the cables and shockmount, for about $210.

i wound up prchasing an m-audio mobilepre USB preamp, and a marshall electronics MXL V57M studio condenser microphone. i got both for around 180 dollars, plus shipping.

i was talking to a guy in the studio at my school, and he suggested the preamp simply because then, if i ever wanted to upgrade, i could get different microphones instead of having only one that I could ever use.

i got the preamp today, and i'm waiting on the microphone still.

has anyone ever tried one of these preamps? what's your take on them?

why would you spend money on usb stuff? you are wasting those precious slots! If I were you I'd spend money and a good soundcard (specifically for composers? 1/4 in/out spdif, you know, the works?)

and then you have an unlimited selection.

like an emu 1212m for $200

BETTER YET, screw usb all together. Go get yourself a FIREWIRE pre-amp :D

why would you spend money on usb stuff? you are wasting those precious slots! If I were you I'd spend money and a good soundcard (specifically for composers? 1/4 in/out spdif, you know, the works?)

STFU.

STFU.

i was seriously hoping someone would say that.