OCR02813 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'What We Left Behind'

DragonAvenger

Hey! Here's a remix of the Sonic 3 credits song that I've been working on for a while. I've titled it "What We Left Behind".

Here's the requested info:

Contact Information

Aviators

Tyler Shaw

http://soundoftheaviators.com/

Submission Information

Sonic The Hedgehog 3

What We Left Behind

Credits

Original Song:

My favorite Sonic game has been and always will be Sonic 3. When I recently got back into game remixing, it was a clear choice which game to choose. The credits song was so memorable, with its bittersweet melody summing up the entire game as names rolled across the screen... I gave my best shot at doing the original justice with modern electronica elements, combined with orchestral melodies and all kinds of fun stuff.

Edited by djpretzel

Very sleek. Great snare. The drums are too repetitive, as is the writing in general. Just about every section has a few too many 4-bar repetitions. It would be great if you added more details within each section as it repeats to keep things interesting.

The intro and outro are pretty weak, mainly because they are rhythmically boring. The samples attack slowly and the rhythms are such that it sounds like you wrote for one piano rather than multiple string parts.

I'm torn, because the body of this track is very slick and groovy, but I'm feeling like the writing is a bit too repetitive, and it feels like there's not much of a structure, each section more or less similar to the others, save the intro, outro, and bridge.

I think I may be nitpicking too much. It's a good track.

YES

• 2 months later...

meh, wasn't in love with the articulations and attack on those strings. they started sounding fake/repetitive really quick. luckily they were no longer exposed once it kicked in, and they work fine as a backing element.

really punchy drums, and solid production. personally I found the synths/sound design in general to be a bit generic sounding (the sorta chiptune bit in the middle, as well as those string arpeggios afterward, were a nice change of sound).

so yeah. some nitpicks, and I definitely am agreeing with most of Vig's vote, but in the big picture I also agree that this is above the bar as it is. nice work on the mix, and best of luck with the rest of the vote!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Jesse's vote her is pretty solid. You've got some solid production in the middle of the track, and the drums are definitely a good highlight in terms of sound, albeit they are repetitive. I think there are enough solid change-ups throughout the track that it is pretty interesting to listen to throughout. My biggest gripe is the opening and ending, with the slow attacks on instruments. I think experimenting more in your sounds, both the orchestral and electronic will really help you refine your sound.

I'd say it's borderline, but I'm good for giving this a pass.

YES

On the production side, I thought this was muddier than it should have been, and while the beats were nice and beefy, I also thought they could have been toned down. While this had great energy, it was too flooded.

The string and brass opening was definitely on the weak/fake side, but it was serviceable. I actually thought the ending sounded a little worse/more exposed in that regard, especially the final string decay. But I agree with the others that those bookends weren't poor enough in the big picture to reject the piece.

On the arrangement side, this almost completely ignored the melody, so I had to wrap my head around the backing writing of the source to understand all of the source usage. That said, it's definitely there practically the entire way, it's just without the more memorable melody, so a lot of people who only fixate on that will think there's little to no connection here. This arrangement had simple but good original writing integrating with the backing writing of the original, though the mixing had entire sections where even those backing patterns were pushed too far in the back.

The flooded sound of the production is almost too much for me to allow, and it should be cleaned up a bit, but for the most part the instrumentation remains distinct ENOUGH that I can look past the mixing issues. Good work here, Tyler; welcome aboard! :-)

YES (borderline)

Edited by Liontamer