"Retro" Console Repairs/Improvements

nOkbient

So I recently disabled the lockout chip of my NES. While I was at it, I cleaned everything using good ol' cotton swabs and alcohol, and bent the 72 pin connector back in to place. After that little project, it got me wondering if there are similar "improvements" people have made to other systems! I have nearly every mainstream gaming console there is, but I've never done any work on them other than outside cleaning. I'd love to know what people have done and maybe even do them for myself.

So are there any mods, cleaning tips, or any improvements you've made on your old systems?

So I recently disabled the lockout chip of my NES. While I was at it, I cleaned everything using good ol' cotton swabs and alcohol, and bent the 72 pin connector back in to place. After that little project, it got me wondering if there are similar "improvements" people have made to other systems! I have nearly every mainstream gaming console there is, but I've never done any work on them other than outside cleaning. I'd love to know what people have done and maybe even do them for myself.

So are there any mods, cleaning tips, or any improvements you've made on your old systems?

Over the years, I've beaten the plastic off of my N64. The controller is shaped excellently for destructive rage slams. Works better than ever.

I tried to repaint my Dreamcast red and black a long time ago. It looks nice, except I didn't let the paint dry quite enough :[

I also took it to school and went to the theater supply room looking for a glossy finish spray. After spraying the shite it turned out to be some gold sparkle stuff, but it looked fabulous. Then I threw in a blue LED by the fan to "be that guy" and called it a day.

I wonder if anyone has had any luck building a better N64 controller? The joysticks on those things just seem to wear out after 20-30 hours of use, even after my household ban on Mario Party went into effect. So far, the replacement joysticks I've tried are very faithful to the originals in feel, but unfortunately also in durability...

I recently had to install a switch into a Gamecube I got, because the original open/close one was busted. I just have it mounted n the back of the system, although, I did have to shave off some of the handle due to bad positioning. I'll put a picture up later.

I've replaced a GBA SP shell, just got one of those knockoff shells. Feels a bit cheap, but meh. It isn't broken/grungy anymore.

I personally haven't done this, but if I ever get heavily into console mods... http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=74

Edit: GC photo: http://imageshack.us/a/img843/4174/0318131224.jpg

Edited by GravitySuitCollector

I wonder if anyone has had any luck building a better N64 controller? The joysticks on those things just seem to wear out after 20-30 hours of use, even after my household ban on Mario Party went into effect. So far, the replacement joysticks I've tried are very faithful to the originals in feel, but unfortunately also in durability...

My brother got me a third-party replacement controller one Christmas, but the problem with it is that its stick's range of motion doesn't have nearly as much precision as the original first-party controller. It'd be fine for more broad-motion stuff, but I found it just about unusuable for GoldenEye or Jet Force Gemini. So for now, I'm stuck with the original used first-party controller which has a massive deadzone. *sigh*

Speaking of, one of these years I really need to dust out my old fatty PS2...

I'm reminding myself here to see about getting my old Model 1 VA6 Genesis - at least its sound circuits - in tip-top shape. Also, my old arcade-style heavy duty joystick for the Genny has needed a new cable for years, and I haven't got around to figuring out which wire goes where. I'm gonna get some photos up soon; maybe at Sega-16 as well.

I've always wanted to try and replace an N64 joystick with a gamecube one. An even more adventurous attempt would be to replace it with a PS1 stick. I'd like to see if it's possible, but I doubt I'd be able to do it with my current knowledge of electronics. Hell, the only thing I've even soldered is an LED 5 years ago...

oh hells no, that is SWEET. I'd actually pay someone to do that for me.

Seriously!! The first time I saw it, it was laid out in step-by-step pictures, but I couldn't find the link for that... there are TONS of modded handheld 64s now. I think they even sell them, and I KNOW they sell handheld SNESes. I played Xarnax's on the way to MAG :P

By the way, are there replacement silicon (?) button pads for SNES/NES controllers anywhere (those things that close the electrical connection, give the button that mushiness)? We have an SNES one in which the control pad's old enough it's just ripped. :/

Anyone made their own controllers, also? I've found some research into NES/SNES ones (http://www.gamesx.com/controldata/nessnes.htm), but I haven't even attempted it. It sounds like it could be a fun weekend project once you got the parts. I think for the connector, if you got those small barrel power plugs you could improvise one, not sure where you would get enough of them, though.

As I recall they have to be 'frontlighted'. It's not too difficult to do just the problem is getting hold of the actual frontlight.

There are a couple of tutorials that require ripping a screen from an SP AGS 01. Like so.

huh, if only someone sold those D: im not skilled in hardware mods. the gbc is probably my favorite handheld next to psp.

Something I've never seen before is rather than stuffing old consoles into a small handheld, simply build a new casing for them. More specifically, building casing out of other materials.

Honestly, I don't think anything would look quite as cool as a SNES made entirely out of stained cherry-wood. And an Atari made of granite would just be freaking impressive, hehe!

Something I've never seen before is rather than stuffing old consoles into a small handheld, simply build a new casing for them. More specifically, building casing out of other materials.

Honestly, I don't think anything would look quite as cool as a SNES made entirely out of stained cherry-wood. And an Atari made of granite would just be freaking impressive, hehe!

that IS suprising, given the crazy mods they make for PCs

Replaced the 72-pin connector of my NES with one off of Ebay. My NES games now work like magic. One side effect though is that if I push the loader down, the game don't work, however. I have no idea why this is, but I understand it is a common side effect.

I'm guessing a short somewhere. probably a stray pin (or 72) are hitting a circuit where it shouldn't when in the down position, idk.