Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Global-Trance

Looks awesome, but I have to admit, I have no idea what the fuck is going on in the Metal Gear storyline anymore.

I imagine that's a lot of people. I'm not even sure many fans of the original three games know what's going on anymore. It surprises me that people even care about the series at this point. It sort of reminds me of the Final Fantasy series/fans of late.

Edited by ocre

Even with Solid Snake's story arc finished, there's still a lot of the series' universe still left to be explored.

Looks awesome, but I have to admit, I have no idea what the fuck is going on in the Metal Gear storyline anymore.:sad:

I'm assuming I should play Peace Walker and Revengeance before I get this?

Peace Walker would probably help, but I haven't played it myself yet. Peace Walker is after the events of MGS 3 and MGS 5 is going to be after that.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance takes place after MGS 4 and it's a spinoff. I don't think it's necessary to play that to get what's going on in Metal Gear but I'd recommend it anyways because Revengeance is really awesome in a ludicrous over-the-top sort of way.

And hey wait a sec. Is that Revolver Ocelot? I mean... who else wears cowboy boots in this series?

maybeocelot.jpg

Edited by Global-Trance

Metal Gear Solid

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid 3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Metal Gear Solid V

Alright, why did Kojima suddenly decide to switch to Roman numerals for the name? That 'V' is going to end up being important somehow, mark my words.

Why does Kojima do anything, other than to supply the MGS fanbase with mindfucks over and over?

I mean, Revolver Ocelot shows up on a horse? Flaming unicorns? We're probably meant to believe that some of what we're seeing is some of Big Boss' coma dreams, but it's really something else.

Ocelot was not the only one in the video. Did you see Psycho Mantis? Yes, that was Psycho Mantis with the red hair, ya know, before he goes bald. And I'm seriously not sure what the hell else is going on in the video, other than the moments where Snake is trying to enter and then escape from Mother Base.

Also... Could "V" be this guy? http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Vladimir_Alexandrovich_Zadornov

I should also note that via Twitter, it's become apparent that DAVID HAYTER WILL NOT BE NAKED SNAKE/BIG BOSS... Go to @DavidBHayter to figure that one out. It could be another Kojima stunt that he likes to pull...but I don't know. Couldn't tell you one way or another, seems pretty legit.

Edited by Dyne

Im psyched.

i fffing love the mgs series, but hopefully it'l be on the current gen i DO NOT want to buy another generation console to play a metal gear game, i did that with mgs4.

incidentally yes metal gear is where i got my screen name, psycho mantis and sniper wolf. :U

Edited by psychowolf

WHAT THE HELL?!. No David Hayter? PS3 and 360 ONLY? This game's graphics have too much potential to be brought down and held back by these systems.(If they made this a PS4 launch title it would be LITERALLY THE SYSTEM SELLER. Why hype up your engine all this much and then go "Lol PS3 and 360 only! even though we are running the game currently on PC! Derp!")

And SERIOUSLY, it's WAY too early for Big Boss's voice to be changing to be similar to how it was in MGS4(A person's voice shouldn't change that drastically anyway), I hope when they introduce David(Solid Snake) again they dont' change his voice actor too....

Also Big Boss has a robotic hand before Metal Gear 1? At least that's not a major retcon

David has played Solid Snake and Big Boss for over 15 years. You can't be fucking seriously thinking people will NOT have a problem with that.

I've never seen another actor know the very incredible subtleties of playing two characters that are the same yet completely 100% different.(Personality wise among other things)

WHAT THE HELL?!. No David Hayter? PS3 and 360 ONLY? This game's graphics have too much potential to be brought down and held back by these systems.(If they made this a PS4 launch title it would be LITERALLY THE SYSTEM SELLER. Why hype up your engine all this much and then go "Lol PS3 and 360 only! even though we are running the game currently on PC! Derp!")

And SERIOUSLY, it's WAY too early for Big Boss's voice to be changing to be similar to how it was in MGS4(A person's voice shouldn't change that drastically anyway), I hope when they introduce David(Solid Snake) again they dont' change his voice actor too....

Also Big Boss has a robotic hand before Metal Gear 1? At least that's not a major retcon

David has played Solid Snake and Big Boss for over 15 years. You can't be fucking seriously thinking people will NOT have a problem with that.

I've never seen another actor know the very incredible subtleties of playing two characters that are the same yet completely 100% different.(Personality wise among other things)

None of these things are really that big of a deal, dude

For one thing, if this is on the 360, then I'm happy. I've still not had the ability to play 4 because I don't own a PS3.

Also, and I feel like I should have posted this earlier when I was going to, I kind of like that Hideo is still messing with us so much. It kind of makes a game out of the game releases. How many other games have an odd meta-story the way this series does?

Also also, I spotted Master Miller in there because that guy is so bad-ass, even being hospitalized is not enough to make him remove his sweet sunglasses.

Besides that...it's entirely possible that this, like so much other MGS info over the years, is being orchestrated to get fans hyped up. So, take it with a grain of salt. Besides, the limited amount of speaking by Big Boss in the video tells me that they probably wanted to conserve some money instead of hiring Hayter on immediately. Then again, who knows, really?

Well, okay, other than Kojima.

Also... There is an article going around the Kojima wants to embrace the PS4 as well.

This is that article: http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/28/4041372/hideo-kojima-playstation-4-new-modes-of-interaction

For those of you wondering: yes, playing Peace Walker would help tremendously, mostly because MGS5 appears as a direct sequel to that game, and plots elements are gonna carry over. Having played (and loved) Peace Walker, I was shocked to see Outer Heaven up in flames in the new Phantom Pain trailer. Especially after spending so much time building the complex from the ground up alongside Miller and the Mother Base team, which is the core experience of PW. It'd be cool if The Phantom Pain / MGS5 was split between classic MGS gameplay and more psychological phases, playing on Big Boss' PTSD state, leaving him powerless, maybe even delirious, as he faces the demons of his past head on. This new trailer seems to suggest we might. ;)

For those of you wondering: yes, playing Peace Walker would help tremendously, mostly because MGS5 appears as a direct sequel to that game, and plots elements are gonna carry over.

phantom pain is a sequel to ground zeroes, and ground zeroes is the sequel to peace walker

edit: actually I think ground zeroes might be the tanker chapter\virtuous mission of phantom pain, not sure yet, still reading things

Edited by Bleck

Something else that I noticed; the hospital he's in might be a European Hospital. The Union Jack on the wall kinda makes it seem this way. Or... It may be a hospital run by Zero of The Patriots.

That and the word "lift" rather than "elevator."

phantom pain is a sequel to ground zeroes, and ground zeroes is the sequel to peace walker
All that matters is that Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are both MGS5, and that they take place after Peace Walker in the timeline. ;)
edit: actually I think ground zeroes might be the tanker chapter\virtuous mission of phantom pain, not sure yet, still reading things
I thought so too, but judging from
, it seems the game might begin in the hospital.

Maybe the gameplay we've seen in the previous trailers for Ground Zeroes will take place right after that sequence.

Or maybe the game will actually alternate back and forth within Big Boss' memory, which would be quite interesting.

Also, is it me or this latest demo looks a little too pretty to be running on current gen consoles?

I don't think it's on next-gen at least based on the amount of Xbox players getting psyched for playing it on their 360's.

Still I'm psyched for this game the trailer was put together very well good choice of music. I'm a little curious as to whether Kojima is going to pull the old bait and switch protagonist on us. Miller seems to mention a third man when they are in the hospital and this guy is still a mystery to me.

based on the amount of Xbox players getting psyched for playing it on their 360's

I hope you realise that this doesn't really mean anything

I'm a little curious as to whether Kojima is going to pull the old bait and switch protagonist on us.

What if he did it with a young Solid Snake (ignores the fact that N313 was Snake's first mission)

Edited by Gollgagh

I hope you realise that this doesn't really mean anything

What if he did it with a young Solid Snake

Yeah thought had occured...but then I told myself that would mean throughout all of MGS 1,2 and 4 Snake had a big ol' prosthetic arm because I've never been really convinced the man in the hospital looked quite old or buff enough to be Big Boss.

Though is it not confirmed for 360 and PS3 then?

Just noticed that when Big Boss gets on the bike at the end of the trailer, he has the exact same red prosthetic hand Zadornov had during Peace Walker...

Also for those interested, the Phantom Pain (or phantom limb pain) is an illusion created by the brain to cope with the removal of a limb, making the person feel as if their missing limb was still attached. The patient can also manifest aching and burning sensation, meaning the hospital in flames and the fiery unicorn chase could all be happening on a subconscious level during Big Boss' nine years coma. This also appears to tie in quite neatly with the whole "Liquid-Ocelot's magical arm" plot point from MGS4. ;)

EDIT: Konami apparently confirmed to Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games. !

Edited by Dj Mokram
new intel!