OCR00006 - Phantasy Star III "Legacy"

Phantasy Star III 'Legacy'

When there is an arrangement from Phantasy Star 3, this is the track that usually gets the attention. But that's because most people never get past the title screen, which this theme is based on. There is lots of other good music in PS3, don't get me wrong. Anyway djp has taken the title theme and made it sound like it would have if it ever came out for the Sega CD (re: nice and clean). Considering that this is one of djp's early efforts, it does impress. I'd love to see what he could do with this tune on his current hardware/software setup.

• 3 months later...

holy, it sounds like there's a whole friggin orchestra together playing this thing at a London Symphony concert! Really nice job DJP, and the ending is perfect, a nice soft gentle ending just like it should be.

Too bad the Saturn wasn't around long enough to get a P.Star sequel, otherwise i'm sure this remix was a taste of things that could've been....

This piece brought by DJP radiates beauty on its own, the instrumentals used are of very nice quality, and the sound comes out in a very clean state.

The theme itself is very soft and mellow, and it makes me wonder if i should just try the game to compare both songs.

My only bad comment is that the flutes at -1:36 sound a bit fake, but thats nothing too bad in the end.

DJP's Legacy from PS3 is something great of a piece that gets a great 7/10 in my book.

This piece is beautiful. I've always liked DJ Pretzels Orchestral works, and this is a major reason why. While I havn't heard the original, this sounds much like I expect the original would, only done in a more orchestral style. Overall, It's very peaceful, and watery (As in it would work well with any Winamp AVS preset using the water effect).

The track starts with some soft instruments, and at 00:12 opens up into the main melody. This melody has a great harmony between the instruments, and sounds really..inspirational and spirited.

At 1:25 it really opens up, gets louder and stronger, and quite amazing. At 1:48, it calms down inot a slightly different melody, which continues until 2:32. Then the main melody starts again. At 2:55, DJP winds it down to a close.

This once again is very peacful, but at the same time very strong. If you even vaguly like orchestral music, I highly recommend this.

Subjective Load-up-the-water-AVS-Preset-and-whip-out-a-conductors-baton-O-Meter: 9.2/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It's surprising much the general quality of mixes has increased over the past few years. Now, compared to recent postings, this ReMix sounds almost WIP-ish. Still, it has stood the test of time fairly well, with good instrumentation and decent samples. However, by about the 4th time djp repeats the first half of the song, it starts to get a little repetitive.

Overall, though, it has a great mood, and could very well serve as a wedding song, as someone previously mentioned. Recommended for all Phantasy Star fans.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Dang. This remix is beautiful. PSIII has a very good title music, I can't really stop listening to it. It's a very soft arrangement, it has flutes, alot of strings and maybe a harp too back there. It began very softly with only the harp or whatever it is playing, and then the flutes and strings began to get into the mood. I guess the melody repeats alot, but it changes at 1:49 to a different melody. It's very soothing, you can just kick back and relax and just let it loop. It do get some more power at 1:25 when some big drums joins the orchestra, but the remix always seem to be joyful and calm.

Still, it has stood the test of time fairly well, with good instrumentation and decent samples.

I agree to the fullest. Beautiful done djpretzel.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the flute sticks out a bit much in a few sections, and that a little more emotion could be added, in regards to dynamics, but for the age of the mix, this is good stuff, and well interpreted.

The horn and midrange especially hold up the best to time, and I think to improve on this, some kettledrum rolls into cymbal crashes would be nice. Maybe DJP thought that would be a bit too cheesy? Would it? I guess we'll never know. :-D

We did get one cymbal crash near the middle though, which was nice.

I think that the flute having the melody for the entire piece is what makes it seem a little off to me; normally to give the ear a break, the lead instrument changes out between sections, even with a soloist, like this seems to be.

Despite it's age, this one still holds up pretty well.

• 2 years later...

For it's age, the samples on this remain pretty decent. Certainly there would be a big improvement if it were mixed now, but nothing stood out as even remotely 'bad' in terms of sound quality.

Overall this fells flat, and OA hit it on the head that the dynamics (or lack thereof) are to blame. Some crescendo swells and subtle pull backs would have really done a number to bring this to life. The part writing is good, sans a couple flute runs that felt a little strange to me.

This is a pretty piece that I won't mind holding onto.

• 2 months later...

I've always liked this song from PS3. The title has always made me laugh... Generations of Doom. It just doesn't fit with the happy tune at all. XD

I find this piece to be mostly straightforward, without too much deviation going on, which would have been nice to hear. Overall, it's a pretty uplifting song and I enjoyed it. Though... I'd likely have enjoyed it more without the strings, or at least with a different sample. The very beginning with the strings is just... grating. I don't really have a problem with anything else but the strings though, as everything else is rather pleasant.

I can tell DJP has definitely improved since this so I'm willing to bet if he tackled this nowadays it'd be phenomenal. But PS3 arrangements are a rare treat, so this deserves a chance for sure.

• 7 months later...

I'll agree with the later comments here, this mix does seem a little flat, and a little fake. However, I definitely like the (what I believe is a harp) playing in the background, that's a nice little touch that really does wonders for the remix. The site will see better, but for the first 'orchestral' remix on this site I can certainly forgive the flaws.

• 4 months later...

You know, despite its obvious flaws, I gotta say, this is a nice remix that is pleasant to listen to. For being over 10 years old, its pretty good - well mixed if not a little midi-ish in sample quality and sequencing. It might be noticeable by some but it doesn't hurt the mix too much. A great mix for its age from non other than DJP :P

• 7 months later...

Very beautiful. For as old as this ReMix is, it still sounds great. Even so, I do agree that some of the bits and pieces sound either midi-ish or fake, but the way it was played out was nice, especially in the crescendo. Yeah, it has a bit of age to it, but this still shows how talented DJP is and it really shows how far both he and ReMixing in general has come. Nicely done.

• 4 months later...

DjP, you're so eclectic. Funk, jazz, chiptune, electronica and Orchestra. You're a man of many talents, I've gotta say.

It's hard to get over the GM-like sounds. I know it's an old track and all, but they drive me nuts. It makes the remix sound dated, unfortunately. Though I will say that you combine the instruments together quite well, in terms of orchestration, so that helps it hold itself together, despite that fact.

The peaks and valleys of the track makes it quite dynamic and easy to listen to. It shows considerable skill when an orchestrater knows to leave instruments out to achieve certain effects. In other words, you handle the orchestration like a champ.

While I can't ignore the GM quality instruments, I appreciate the arrangement quite a bit. It gets a nice seven conductor batons out of ten.

The intro feels disharmonic and somewhat frightening, leading straight into the major-chords and pleasant orchestral. Strange, but effective. Nice old-sounding orchestral samples -- probably soundfonts, but they do remind me a bit of Garritan personal orchestra. I think this is the first orchestral piece I've heard by the man djp, I didn't even know he did this kind of thing. Very great arrangement and mood throughout including a somber breakdown at 1:50. The string ensembles do seem to break up a little bit and are noticeable during this brief calm section. With modern samples, I believe this arrangement would still shine. Even with the aged samples I found it to be very enjoyable.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00006 - Phantasy Star III "Legacy"
  • 7 years later...