OCR01454 - Baldur's Gate "Child of the Murder God"

djpretzel

I listened to Christian's original submission a while back, and I remember it being quite a bit of orchestral, too. Guess he's changed it since.

EDIT: I take that back. The "orchestral" part I heard was the song getting cut off in the middle and instead moving on the the next song on my playlist, which was a song from FFTactics (all of which are orchestral).

On another note... if Christian is a piano player, then how come he sequenced "Memories from the Wind Scene" instead of playing it live?

if Christian is a piano player...

LOL

Christian, you're my favoritest piano player.

Seriously though, this is epic stuff. I feel like it was a bit underappreciated in the panel. I've been listening to this arrangement for a looong time now. Contrary to the panel, I definitely feel that the ideas in this are trademark Cpac and that it's definitely innovative. I agree that it's not his strongest, but to call it "trite" is, I think, underappreciating the creativity of this mix immensely--especially when you compare it to most of the mixes on this site.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. Great job, C!

And, for clarification, I can barely play a C scale on time, so NO, I DON'T play piano. Piano roll for the win.

Haha, that's what I thought. It's just that the judges kept talking like this was a live performance.

No, I wouldn't say that. :lol: Certainly not for me.

Okay, so not you, Larry. But TO talking about the sustain pedal and analoq referring to it as a performance did give that impression.

And, for clarification, I can barely play a C scale on time, so NO, I DON'T play piano. Piano roll for the win.

Haha, that's what I thought. It's just that the judges kept talking like this was a live performance.

Okay, so not you, Larry. But TO talking about the sustain pedal and analoq referring to it as a performance did give that impression.

These aspects are available and controllable via midi data in any sequencer/piano roll in most music software packages.

More information: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/article.asp?ID=45

But that's just the beginning. Many of the most important aspects of MIDI are handled by Control Change (CC) messages. One common CC is used for sustain pedal information (also known as Damper Pedal or Hold Pedal). When you press the pedal, MIDI sends an On message for CC 64 (the Control Change number dedicated for sustain pedal information). When you release the pedal, an Off message is sent. The sustain pedal is an example of a switched CC message. It's either On or Off, with no gradients in between.

Does this explain our votes better?

"The sustain pedal's certainly been well used here" shouldn't necessarily be taken literally, it's just a way of saying that the notes are well-drawn out. Whether it's played live or not.

Either way, it's a nice piece, I still enjoy listening to it.

• 1 month later...

The source material is quite good and it is a shame that the Baldur's Gate series's music has not received the attention it deserves (though it is hard to remix something near perfection). Still though, this is a good take an such a wonderful theme.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Heh, it's funny how the beginning could lead into Chrono Trigger's 600AD theme quite easily..

Anyway.. impressive, evocative! I'm totally unfamiliar with the original, yet I'm sure this one does it great justice. I'm not a big fan of piano arrangements, but this is a track that might just open that door for me and show me how to appreciate solo piano some more.

--Eino

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It took me a few listens to focus on the melodic elements of it. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I always enjoy excavating a piece of music and finding and uncovering new things on every passthrough. It's mainly to do with the more-complex-than-usual arrangement of a theme I've never heard before.

I don't think there's any doubt of the fact this is a very strong mix. While I can't say it sounds like an authentic piano performance at all times, I can say that it more than filled in any gaps with some truly great sequencing.

A different and very intimate piano piece that I hope can keep revealing new experiences for me further down the track. Well done.

• 7 years later...

Wow! This is how I imagine the BG dream sequences would sound like if they were done with piano. :D Nice derivations from the source and great build-up to the main melodies. There's a lot of finer qualities in this mix than I expected from such a straightforward source.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01454 - Baldur's Gate "Child of the Murder God"