Looking for a portable recorder

Argitoth

I was looking for something that would fit my requirements, but I can't seem to find anything. I'm looking to specifically use it for sound design (field recordings). Here's what I'm looking for:

-Around $350

-Rechargable battery

-A way to send files to computer

Let me explain what I DO NOT need.

-Effects

-Convenience

-Pretty design

-Built-in mic

I don't care if it's bulky, I don't care if it's as ugly as a garbage can, I don't care if it's as big as a computer. I just want the HIGHEST quality of recordings possible with a good price tag. The handheld ones I've been reading about just don't fit the professional bill. I'm beginning to think I'll have to pay at least $800 to get what I want.

thanks in advance for your help.

yeah. ok. screw the first post. I just want to know what I would need to harness the portability of a laptop and at the same time record highest quality possible.

Edit: WAIT WAIT... scratch the laptop idea. The laptop is too noisy... well maybe if I got huge extension cords to be far away from the laptop when recording... that's just bizarre. Any other suggestions? (including use of a laptop)

Thanks Yoozer.

Actually I think this thread should be deleted. After reading a huge article on how great 24-bit recording is, I'm convinced. I'd rather wait till I have $800 laying around to get a professional field recorder. I'll get the TASDP01 if I'm desparate.

I was pretty much more or less convinced when the article said something about how 24 bit recording is the future and 16 bit is old old old.

Edit: Article: http://www.24bitfaq.org/

Thanks Yoozer.

Actually I think this thread should be deleted.

Actually I don't. Why withhold relevant information from people just because your thirst for knowledge is quenched?

After reading a huge article on how great 24-bit recording is, I'm convinced.

After reading how CDs still use 16-bit audio, I'm not :).

I'd rather wait till I have $800 laying around to get a professional field recorder. I'll get the TASDP01 if I'm desparate.

No, you should get something because you can use it right now. You can wait for 32-bit and 64-bit recording but in the meantime you won't record anything. Besides, if you want to leverage that power to the fullest, also think of buying an expensive microphone to go with it.

Now you can pick the Fostex and a pretty good mic for the rest of the cash.

I was pretty much more or less convinced when the article said something about how 24 bit recording is the future and 16 bit is old old old.

The article hasn't been updated in a while and 5 years in computer terms are an immense timespan.

There's a very simple reason to choose 24 bits over 16 bits - dynamics.

Again, keep in mind - what you're going to do with it and on what level of professionalism you're working, and what your budget is.

Get a minidisc recorder.

Proprietary format + shitty compression; rather give me the compact flash with a plain .wav on it, then ;).

With all due respect for MDs though; it's a really good replacement for tape.

Actually I think this thread should be deleted.

At this state of the board, if nobody writes anything, it'll be dropped of the boards anyway. Also... why "delete" something if others might have the same question=

After reading a huge article on how great 24-bit recording is, I'm convinced. I'd rather wait till I have $800 laying around to get a professional field recorder. I'll get the TASDP01 if I'm desparate.

Blah 24-bit here, blah 32-bit there. More bits means a better resolution of the amplitude in a digital form. The more bits, the rounder it is. If you work with CDs in the end anyway, you render it down nonetheless. This is where dithering comes to place.

The more bits you have, the more "information" you have at your disposal (subtract the recording headers too. i.e. 24bit is in reality 19bit, while 16bit is in reality 11bit), the better it sounds. This is all.

Depends on you and of course on the souce. But in most cases 16bit is totally enough unless you work with Surround Setups, which I'm pretty sure you're far from that.

Edit: Article: http://www.24bitfaq.org/

Your mom is old... er... Everything is old if you look at that.

Think about it. A couple of years ago 8bit was the standard and 16bit the future. Now everybody talks about 24bit (Creative cards for example), but "the future" is 32bit to 64bit floating point (if it's by the weird minds of the industry).

Do you hear the difference? If proper engineered, the magic is gone cause you don't hear any difference. Well not with "consumer products" anyway.

BUT... You have "golden ears", so to please your e-pe... er... meet your requirements, I can (and will) always recommend Edirol recording equipment. Unless you're like "screw dat shit, I want a DAT recorder" (but they're not only expensive, in your case they're old-old-old cause they can only go as high as 20bit!)

Two links:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIR1

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIR09

The rest is up to you.

And before you scream. Yeah, they have built in mics. But they're one of the best on the market atm. And if that doesn't work for you, you can still connect a microphone.

Do more researches next time, Argi. Usually you're the "god of wisdom" among as, aren't you? ;)

I bought a portable voice recorder for $80 and it works great, and it fits easily in my pocket (no one even knows it's there). They sell them at just about all Electronics/Computer stores around here (Future Shop, Best Buy, Staples, etc.). They even have some for cheaper too, and alot of mp3 players have built-in voice recorders too. You don't need any special way to send files to your computer, just make sure it has a headphone jack and you can send everything playing to your computer's line-in jack with a simple $3-$5 audio cable.

Laptop?

you know that's not such a bad idea...... but what hardware would I need?

You don't need anything except a good microphone. Even Sound Recorder can handle the rest.

Get a minidisc recorder.

Proprietary format + shitty compression; rather give me the compact flash with a plain .wav on it, then ;).

With all due respect for MDs though; it's a really good replacement for tape.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MZRH910&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_DigitalMusicPlayers_MiniDisc

Ability to Record From Multiple Sources (Mic/Line-in)

Use line-in jack on the Hi-MD™ player to transfer and archive legacy formats such as tapes to low cost 1GB Hi-MD™ MiniDisc Media. The mic input is a perfect solution for self recordings, school concerts or meetings. Choose a maximum recording time of up to 45 hours1, or uncompressed/lossless quality depending on specific needs.

Oh shoot, I never did put, "two inputs needed for stereo recording." I want to use two directional condenser mics for recording soundscapes of a location. That's really the ultimate goal.

SGX, could you PLEASE shorten your link? It makes the thread hard to read. I have to scroll left and right. Just do a [ url=bla]hi-md

Oh shoot, I never did put, "two inputs needed for stereo recording." I want to use two directional condenser mics for recording soundscapes of a location. That's really the ultimate goal.

You can buy stereo microphones (one receiver on each side). You'd be surprised if you just look around stores similar to the ones I've mentioned above.

Told ya, folks!

Who cares. Like Yoozer said, why withhold relevant information from people just because someone's thirst for knowledge is quenched?

This is a forum, lots of people visit this place to read and exchange ideas. Discussions of various topics can be interesting to many people.

Besides, I was going to ask similar questions later on, but they were answered.