Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Tyrian

Name of arrangement: Data Flux

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Tyrian, The Level

Composer: Alexander Brandon

Source Link

Remix Link

Just want to say thanks for the feedback. Damn, I really can't believe I couldn't hear how bad the high-end was on the last mix. Saying that, I've probably missed something this time but hey ho. It's all part of the learning process no?

This mix has been redone, pretty much from scratch but I have really enjoyed it. Hopefully this version won't make your ears bleed. If it does pass the panel, don't forget to mention that this is part of the PC Remix initiative by Archangel ^^ Much love

-----------------------

Edited by djpretzel

This still sounded too bright for my tastes, but not enough to disqualify it. The lead guitar at 1:11 had good energy, but why were the rhythm guitars so buried in the back? The writing and arrangement sounds good overall, but when you bury supporting instrumentation like that, it makes the whole soundscape seem as if it lacks depth. Right now, it's as if you just have a lead and the drums with no other support.

The mixing needs to be adjusted to get the levels of the parts properly balanced and also not let the fullest sections sound so cluttered. Anyone think we should go conditional YES instead? The lead guitar also sounded a bit hot to me in spite of the revisions, but I could live with that if the other production issues were improved.

Stellar arrangement though, Liam, you just need a little more fine tuning for the win!

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lead guitar is a touch too loud, and the piano is a bit bright, but everything else is excellent. I love the booming rhythm tone, and the playing is great. The intro was beautiful, and the rock sections were great, with solid gallops.

Some critiques to improve for next time are minor mixing issues, where the bass isn't quite inside the rhythm guitars at all times, and the drum fills are pretty plain and not exciting.

Overall though, this is excellent and most triumphant!

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

The piano sounds way too wet and dull. Especially for this context it should be bright and dryer. It washes away.

I love the intro. The rest of the track is pretty cool, though a little loose and straightforward. I also agree that the mix is too bright.

In terms of execution, it's strange that the piano sounds so inhuman but the guitars are in some spots not tight at all, rhythmically or in tune. This is the nature of performance vs. sequencing, but hearing both problems on opposite ends of the spectrum is a bit strange. I also think the guitar solo towards the end is straight-up unnecesssary. If you tightened it up it might be cool, but it's loose, and nothing changes in the rhythm section from the rest of the song, so it gets a bit tedious.

I'm pretty close on this one.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Not gonna go into too much detail rehashing what's already been said. This does have some mixing issues thoughout - lead guitar too loud, 1:03 synth loud/muddy in low-mids, muddy piano tone yet bright overall mix, minor clutter at places. Still, I didn't hear anything major enough to push this into NO territory in my opinion. Close for sure, but I can roll.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

The intro is great - well played/sequenced guitars, lots of space in the mix to create an airy feel. When the track gets to the meat, the drums don't hold the rhythm as well as I would have liked. It seems like you have too many elements fighting and the distinctness is lost a bit. It's not awful, but just not as good as it could have been. I would have played with the balance and EQ a bit more to get each element showing up in its own space. That said, it's a great arrangement and I think it's good enough to pass.

YES