Mario Kart 8

Crowbar Man

UPDATE:

Its out! Its great! OCR has a tourney created by Lemon!

0268-4142-9420

1 Hour Long

10PM Eastern / 9PM Central / 7pm Pacific

Every Wednesday

OLD:

Just noticed there wasn't a thread for this yet:

This by far has some of the most amazing graphics I've seen on the Wii U to date. Really stretching its "next gen" muscle here.

The new magnetic wheels being able to hook into new crazy paths is pretty cool too.

Love it! Can't wait for this to come out!

Edited by Crowbar Man

The stream was pretty bad for me, but when it stopped to buffer and I saw the first glimpse of an upside-down road in the background, my eyes lit up. Definitely looking forward to that.

Looks like it's back to 12 racers at once, though. I don't think that worked particularly well in Mario Kart Wii...but we'll see.

Edited by Hylian Lemon

Looks like it's back to 12 racers at once, though. I don't think that worked particularly well in Mario Kart Wii, but we'll see.

From what I saw in the video, there seems to be quite a few instances of tracks splitting up into multiple paths for a time. I feel like that could work well for handling player density.

I'm pretty stoked about this game myself. We sometimes play a Mario Kart Wii drinking game; line up three shots on the table, and take one if you get hit or fall off. Bonus shot if you don't place. The first thing my fiance said when she saw the anti-grav gameplay was "This is going to be really hard to play drunk."

• 11 months later...
Got it with the bundle. Just beat the 8 cups on 50cc. So much better than the Wii Mario Kart. Less crazy item tom foolery. You'll win by your own skills and not luck. New track designs are excellent. Really hope they add more tracks through DLC. I would certainly pay $5-$10 for 4 new tracks.

I'm glad to see someone else is having a better experience with it than I am. I love the game don't get me wrong. But my races through 50 and 100cc have been nothing but luck fests. "Oh I took first, hey it's a blue shell.. now I get hit with 2 red shells while recovering. I'm in third.. oh sniped with a green shell. 6th place now.. you guys really spammed an entire fire flower on me? Last place." Constant sniping from the computer with green shells like they are red shells.. The lightning being used 5+ times in one race when Nintendo said they nerfed the rate on those things showing up. In 150cc now all I can do is pray the RNG Gods take it easy on me, and it wouldn't be so bad if the races weren't so short. When you have a two and a half minute race tops you get no chance to make a come back.

But despite those gripes I love this game. The little bit of lag online isn't a big deal, the graphics are gorgeous.. absolutely love the water effects and lighting. And the music is very good to say the least. Was racing with the roommate last night and just chilling out to some of the music. I hope Nintendo has some plans for some DLC for more maps or something over time, but as it stands this game was worth the wait and really shows off what the Wii U is capable of.

Oh hey i forgot I made this thread back when this was announced. I picked it up yesterday, so far its been a real blast!

The Grand Prix Mode is 4 player! Its usually limited to 2 player in most console games (MKWii for some reason it was only single player, which was a real bummer). You can also go online with 2 people (don't remember if this was an option on MKWii), so even local multiplayer can be extended online!

My only complaint so far is Battle Mode is no longer using dedicated battle arenas, you just fight on normal tracks which... is less than ideal obviously. I hope we get some DLC Battle Mode tracks because this version's Battle Mode is really lame otherwise. I'd be happy if they just remade MK64's BM tracks.

Music is great too, though I'm not super impressed with 8's version of the Rainbow Road theme. (64 and DD are still my fave version of that song)

Edited by Crowbar Man

I've been having a lot of trouble maintaining my connection while playing online. No error codes or anything. Should I assume it's release weekend server overload?

Super fun game, anyway. I'm glad Roy's stats work for me, because there was no way I wasn't going to play as him. Tracks are all good, too, although the lack of GBA tracks is kind of putting me in a Super Circuit mood...

The length of time it takes to regain control of your vehicle after a hit is really irritating

That's been a problem since Mario Kart DS. I've gotten over it but honestly Mario Kart Double Dash was the best with that of all of them.

Double Dash still stands as my favorite, but I love this one a whole bunch. Don't regret the buy at all.

Had a shitty day at work yesterday so I bought this game to balance things out.

Hoooooly shit 4 player Grand Prix is so much fun. Even with the CPU's turtle shell sniping I managed to have a blast. Track themes seemed a little bit to be desired, but I definitely YEAH'd out loud at the bass riff in the opening theme.

This game rocks and reminds me why I love Nintendo

This game is the bees knees.

150cc is whack though. Breezed through 50 and 100 but 150 just gets crazy, especially with multiple players.

And that MUSIC, oh that music. I seriously need the OST.

Also, what are everyones favourite tracks so far? I'm a big fan of Mount Wario, and the Electrodrome is super slick. Some reviews complained about the selection of classic tracks but I quite enjoyed them personally.

This game is the bees knees.

Also, what are everyones favourite tracks so far? I'm a big fan of Mount Wario, and the Electrodrome is super slick. Some reviews complained about the selection of classic tracks but I quite enjoyed them personally.

For me, Sunshine Airport is the most creative track theme from the new circuits. Absolutely awesome work with that one. From the old school tracks, I'm really liking what they've done with Toad's Turnpike n64 and Wario Stadium DS. It's like they've completely transformed to new beasts while retaining the original's feel. The old-school n64 Rainbow Road is a lot better than the lame new version.

One factor that I'm kind of frustrated with is forcing the map to the GamePad, which is just not ideal at all with the fast-paced nature of the game. I just have no time at all to glance down at the pad while racing, especially when I'm using a Pro Controller. Also, this basically kills any kind of fairness with 4 player local Balloon Battle. The mode itself is already bad with the lazy track designs, but they've made it worse by not giving us the option to display the map on screen.