OCR00388 - Chrono Trigger "Time Circuits High Voltage"

Saunders

Chrono Trigger 'Time Circuits High Voltage'

Another Time Circuits mix. We’re definitely not in for lack of mixes of the “Zeal Theme” but this one is especially good. Always with well done music, Dale North definitely does not fail to impress me yet again. I love the warbly effect that welcomes us into the mix here. The “Ahh” voice sample definitely gives a heavenly feel. The background fade-in-fade-out strings used throughout this mix are really cool sounding, and the windy effect gives me a feeling of flying through the air, not unlike the island of Zeal itself. All in all, this is a top quality mix of “The Zeal Theme.” 4/5

• 3 months later...

Wonderful. Absolutely exceptional. Despite a kingdom of Queen Zeal mixes, this one stands out. A fade-in-and-out electronic effect starts the melody, followed promptly by wind and choir patches. The main melody is played by something somewhere between a pure electronic sound and a recorder for a while, then it innovatively alternates to yet another electronic effect that has a faint semblance of some sort of recognizable instrument (this one a little more string-like). Reminds me a lot of JD Harding's (or should I say Kendri's?) remixes.

• 6 months later...

This was one of my first downloads at OCR, and I was REALLY selective back then, because I was severely limited in HDD space.

I personally love the Schala/Zeal remixes and so long as the artist is capable of making his/her stand out from the others, I never get tired of it. (Seriously, analogize it to eating pizza... remember when Pizza Hut came out with stuffed-crust that you eat backwards? It was STILL the same 'ol pizza, you just had a new, different, exciting take on it.)

This is a really impressive piece, and the fact that it's been on my HDD for months really says soemthing about it. You capture the essence of the piece really well, and I consider it one of the best on the site.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of variety, lots of different synths used to keep the track entertaining...very well done. I'm a fan of Dale's orchestral arrangements and basically thought that's all he really did so I was pleasantly surprised to see his take on electronica.

• 11 months later...

This classic remix has been in playlist for so long I can't remember when I downloaded it. And yet I still feel the urge to hit repeat on many occasions...perhaps because it is so frustratingly short, yet so good. When oh when will you return to us with more tunes of glory? When will you grace our ears with more tunage of such high caliber?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Nice deep soundscape to begin with; choir sample sounds a little dated though.

Once you get past that to the melody it's pretty nice. Very smooth lead and gated synths. Most of the arrangement is based on the new genre of music, and there isn't a ton of expansive material, but it has a great feel and a well-executed feel to it.

Not world-shattering, but otherwise every enjoyable.

• 11 months later...

Artificial choir is a tricky one to pull off to a listener, because it's almost as if you are saying "This is where I would put an authentic choir if I had one". However, after saying that, I think this mix doesn't suffer much at all from the bogusness of the voices. I think it sounds pretty swell, accompanies the piece and gives that celestial, singing of angels sort of vibe that has a fitting place with the rest of the mix's ingredients.

I think the electronic leads are where the mix shines brightest, but its some nice quality mixing of a beaten, bloody and bruised old tune. Chrono Trigger is a war veteran of game music. Crippled, worn and constantly tired, but still has the energy of a teenager. Good CT mixes like this (and there are plenty) tap that spirit, rather than wearing out even more. I approve.

• 1 month later...

Time Circuits is definitely a favorite when it come to CT music.

When the song started, I didn't knew where it was going to lead me, but I soon found out.

As the ambiance slowly developps, you get the feeling of being transported.

The voices start, then the rythmic pattern & melody come and take you for a ride through time.

As many stated, this is a dreamy atmosphere. I didn't feel the high-voltage, but this one sure was flying high.

I don't use synthetizer much. But if I did, this is how I would like them to sound.

A very solid, polished and thought out remix... but why is it so short?

Guess I'll have to press the loop button and listen to it once more. ;-)

• 3 years later...

This was one of my favorite remixes from back in the day, 2002, when the site was blue and we had less than twenty mixes for CT, and everything was just listed by alphabetical order, system sort optional. This, and Kefka Goes West. Beautiful atmospherics and synths, dreamy without ever losing a hook. I hope Dale North comes back to extend this one. =)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00388 - Chrono Trigger "Time Circuits High Voltage"