Question from newbie.

A lot of people have differing opinions, but coming from someone with a lot of experience with music, I would definitely suggest learning some basic music theory. Learn about notes, chords, what a 'key' is, the different kinds of meter (or 'time signatures').

That stuff is really essential in learning how to write most kinds of music (including electronic genres).

Piano lessons are a good way to learn about these things.

As a side note, rather than thinking about starting to "remix," you should just focus on learning how to write music. One of the best things you can do is to write original music. It teaches you how to construct a song and what goes into writing different parts.

^That, with emphasis on the "write your own music" part. The best way to do anything is to try and fail, and maybe succeed a couple times. Then you'll learn what you like and what you don't like to do, and use that experience all the time. Good luck :D

Hello all, I know everyone is sick of answering these questions, but, here are 2. 1. Do I need to take music lessons or the like? Because I have NO :oops: music exp.

It'll become very clear to you once you start making stuff. Programs like FL Studio will not be ten times harder because you don't know anything about music; you'll just wonder what's the deal with those black and white keys and why it sounds dissonant, maybe.

2. If so, what Lessons should I take? I was thinking of the piano/keyboard type.

The reason those are useful is because guitars, wind instruments, and drums are generally not so well represented as controllers.

With "controllers", I mean a piece of equipment that doesn't make sound by itself; it can tell another piece of equipment (such as a synthesizer, sampler, computer) to make sound.

Yes - there are wind controllers which you can play like a saxophone - but you can't do chords. Yes, there are electronic drum kits, but you can't do melody. Keyboard/piano solves all this, and there's dozens of those in the shape of a controller available.

Please advise, I would love to start remixing.

Like DarkeSword says - write music. Remixes aren't a special genre of music; if you've listened to some of the songs you'll hear 'm varying between rock, techno or symphonic music. All that starts with learning how to make music yourself. Once you can do that, you can start remixing.

Simply using a MIDI file with some effects thrown over is not being original (which means that if you submit it, it'll be rejected - pretty much instantaneously I think), it's got nothing to do with remixing, and worst; you won't learn how to make music or compose any songs.

A lot of people have differing opinions, but coming from someone with a lot of experience with music, I would definitely suggest learning some basic music theory. Learn about notes, chords, what a 'key' is, the different kinds of meter (or 'time signatures').

That stuff is really essential in learning how to write most kinds of music (including electronic genres).

As a side note, rather than thinking about starting to "remix," you should just focus on learning how to write music. One of the best things you can do is to write original music. It teaches you how to construct a song and what goes into writing different parts.

I completely agree with every damn thing in that post. We must all quote it for emphasis.

Quoted for emphasis.

Thanks for the info all. I was really lost about everything. I will start piano lessons shortly, and "try and fail :wink: " to write my own music.(When I say "shortly" I mean months) Maybe in 5 years you will hear a song.(Seeing how busy I am.)

BTW, DarkeSword, love the music. Just a Little More and the father of all are great!