OCR01461 - Mario Paint "Intense Color"

djpretzel

I've been looking forward to this since checking out an early version on the WIP forum. Since then, SGX has worked wonders with the production - it's terrifically dirty, without ever getting muddy. And Sephfire has done a great job of transforming a simple little ditty into a dark, brooding arrangement. I'd say this is up there with Glass Cage as one of the best of OCR's more liberal mixes.

Wow. When a mix from mario games is released is always expected something with steel drums, square waves or even a piano solo rearrangement. But this is a rare and uncommon exception like "Bowser is Pissed". It sounds more doom than mario. Plenty of variations. Great instruments, with hot industrial beats and epic effects & synths. This one needs to be listened to at least twice to understand the madness sounding. It was very well compressed and mastered both; most of drums are sounding like its playing in a live electronic machine. The reversed samples are just a sweet detail finishing up the track.

This is a rare one that will be playing in my memorable library. Thanks.

On first listen when it came out on SGX's site I thought of the song as horrible and destructive. Since then I have recieved new speakers with a hell of a lot more bass which has balanced the song out to make one hell of a remix.

See in your stuff in a record store soon SGX and sephire.

Wow, in the first listen I turned it off after 10 seconds....thinking why is this garbage even on OCR. Then I gave it another listen, and it wasn't anything I expected to be and the begining actually made sense with the end, that it can change so drastically. Impressive way to mess with my head. I love it.

I like it, but except at the beginning and end, I barely hear any mario paint in there at all. If I wasn't told ahead of time, I would have assumed it was a completly orginal piece.

The Mario Paint is in there. We actually added the beginning and end parts specifically to present a reference for the original to look for in the rest of the track. It's in there. Specifically, the string hits are pretty obvious.

Glad most of ya like it. I hope we were able to rox some sox with this track.

I love the string motif that occurs throughout the song. It soon becomes like your pulse; regular (I hope), but dynamic.

I like the bombastic drums at 0:22 as they seem to punctuate the piano solo at 0:58.

The distortion and synth obviously have to be well implemented and of high quality for a mix like this to fly and it is so, it does.

This one's great for Ninja Gaiden Black boss fights. 8)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01461 - Mario Paint "Intense Color"