OCR01462 - Bionic Commando (GB) "Bionic Electronica"

djpretzel

Very swanky mix; a real pleasure to hear. Jimmy really got things on lock here, somewhat similar to zircon's style and also to tefnek. I particularly liked when the string lead was in play; it could have cut through more of the beatwork, but it sounded very airy and sophisticated nonetheless. Great stuff, and it means a lot more that Jimmy's one of the nicest guys in the community I've interacted with back when I just started out on the judges panel. Certainly want to wish he and his wife the very best, and I'm glad he's still involved in whatever way he can be with the community. Keep 'em coming!

Is Big Giant Circles becoming the new AE? Using FL to get some fantastic results, a great full sound, etc. This one gets loud, but doesn't fall into the cluttered stuff that other artists tend to get stuck in.

At first I was apprehensive of the lack of bass in the intro, but that all changed after a few seconds. And the marching band percussion! I loved the way you used it in Anthem of a Metroid Hunter, and it makes a great return cameo here. Great variation that doesn't overstay its welcome.

this is hot hot hot. I am definitely a fan of BGC, and this one is my favorite by him thus far. The melodies are always catchy, the beats in this one are definitely more interesting... the string lead is the highlight of this mix for me. Fits in perfectly with the style and all the intricate hooks going on to make this mix amazing.

Congratulations again on the marriage. Thanks for bringing us more mixes!

I used to love this game as a kid... very addicting.

Anyway, gotta say I love the mix. It's rather repetitive, but not in a bothersome way. I like the beats and the arps in the background. The sudden tempo change kinda toke me by surprise, but I think it worked pretty well. I also like how it subtly speeds back up.

Good job!

I don't have any nostalgic memories of playing Bionic Commando, so I will just go with the music alone. The arrangement is real nice, and never lets up. The main melody on string reminds me of something I would hear in Link to the Past, and the beats are plain hot. Nice one, BGC.

Very nice use of effects and vocoding. And, is there some granulation in there? The effects chosen are difficult to use well; most people overuse them. Thematically, this tune kicks in that it sounds like a game tune. At first I felt it was grasping for a genre and all wishy-washy. But, it's definantly a game tune. There coulda been more bass, though.

reminds me of some younger days but i never played it, my brothers did though

i do remember the whole melody *humming real hard now and my classmates are looking at me like crazy ppl*

love the end part ( somehow it reminds me of castlevania dont ask how XD)

it also reminds me of some kind of scifi-game

ill give it a 10/10

*downloading it directly on to my mp3 player*

keep it up

No intro? Well, that works for me, I like it when it's fast paced from the beginning (the real fun part starting at 0:30). From 0:58 on, I get a somewhat Ridge Racer Type 4-esque feeling, even moreso from 1:39. Very nice middle part.

From 2:13 on, it is slowly returning to the beginning, becoming sloooow at 2:46 and finally going full speed again at 3:17. Very nice way to close the mix and connect it to the start.

Heeeeyyyyy, finally got a chance to get online.

Well, thanks for all the kind words, everybody. Larry, SirRus, DJP and all you other peeps, thanks for listening and thanks for the input. Made my day to see that this one got posted; I really wasn't quite sure it was ready to submit, but since I can't get online much lately, I went ahead and submitted it when I had the chance.

A couple particular things I thought were funny; I originally didn't have a tempo change at the end, but I just felt that I needed to do something to 1) change it up just a little bit (ya know, to throw off the listener/catch ya by surprise) and 2) I just felt I needed to do something to make it just a wee bit longer as it otherwise would have been barely over 3:00 minutes. As far as all the comments on how the mix constantly changes tempo, I thought those were amusing, because as I see it, it really only changes tempo that once. Err, twice, I guess, if you count the slow-down right there at 0:28 or so. The song is 140bpm up until the big tempo change, and then I think I dropped it to like 110 or 115 and sped it up in increments of like 5bpm every 2 or so measures. I guess I was trying to make it a subtle and seemingly-constant build back to the original tempo; perhaps that's what everyone is referring to when they talk about all the tempo changes... who knows :)

Anyway, thanks again for the input. I recently got a 2nd job, I'm trying to squeeze in a class or two while trying to get my wife through hers, so though my spare time is less and less lately, I'm hoping the boost in spare funds will mean sooner regular internet for me :)

All my best to you listeners and you fellow mixers.

BGC

• 2 weeks later...

The main progression at the beginning and end reminds me a lot of the music in the Ys series. And since I happen to like the music in that series, it's only natural I'd like this. ;)

Of course, the entire track is very good. It only took one playthrough to decide to add it to my collection.

1:38, just that one second, should have been the whole song. Looped over and over.

Play it loud.

I'm a fan of constantly changing music, so I think the last section should have brought something more to the table, even if the main melody would still be there.

• 6 months later...

I never thought anyone could make the original song so fast paced, but I guess that's what migrating it into another genere is for. To get something THIS awesome takes briliant talent and imagination to accomplish. I've very pleased with this mix, indeed. I just wish there were more mixes of this game, epecially mixing in some of the boss musics.

And just for kicks I'm playing this song at 70.7% of it's orginal tempo... the 7th time around. Still sounds cool.

• 2 years later...

One of the most notable 'new' mixes to me when I first started frequenting the site, this has been one of my favorites since. It has a great sense of motion, and is constantly pushing forward, with a lot of cool surprises thrown in. I loved all of the transitions where something cool happened, whether it was the slow-to-a-stop intro, the full spectrum filter and gate, or the vocoded part.

Percussion on this is super layered and totally hot, and something interesting is always happening on multiple levels. The end section where it goes halftime and then gradually speeds up is inspiring too.

A++ work, great stuff.

• 1 year later...

Big Giant Circles. I love the names you guys use. I love your music even more. You are some awesome motherfuckers, you know that right? I wish I had the talent you guys do. Oh, and to MR. BGC, you are one of my top 5 favorites on this site. I have yet to hear one of your mixes that I didn't like. :nicework:

• 5 months later...

Ok, so I know BGC states that there isn't an intro on this one =p

but what I'm calling the intro (the first ~30 secods) I really like a lot. It has an airy, as if being blown through a canyon feel to it, which really carries momentum throughout the track.

Also, once it really breaks down it flows really nicely, like fine tuned circuitry. I do agree that the tempo shift around ~2:40 feels a little bumpy, but it does it's purpose of making you slow down and focus on what you're listening and in a not to jarring manor at that too. This is a track definitely worth listening to.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01462 - Bionic Commando (GB) "Bionic Electronica"