Searching Composers for game project

Jannik

Hi OC-Remixers,

We are two indie game developers from Germany who released the game Somyeol (www.somyeol.com), a puzzle platformer for mobiles, in 2011. Currently we are working on a successor and because we aren’t great musicians we are searching for some composers for the soundtrack.

This is a screenshot of our work in progress.

somyeol_im_gras_small.jpg

We would be really happy to have a few people composing one or two tracks for our game. Because we are financing the game our self we cannot offer money directly, but we can distribute the tracks through our app via in-app-purchase, with a good percentage share, or for free and show the composer and title of the track when it is playing. Of course we do not want to limit any rights on the music, except using it in or selling it to another game.

We want to give as much freedom as possible to interested composers, because we do not want to limit creativity. Only exception is that the music must somehow fit to the game and it themes.

If you are interested we would be really happy to hear back from you (also possible via mail - contact@somyeol.com). We want to have a lot of variety in the soundtrack, so if you know any musicians who could be interested feel free to tell them.

Best Regards,

Kolja and Jannik / Brain Connected

Hey everyone,

we are really happy about the many people that replied or wrote us a mail.

we assembled a small list of important facts around the project and planned collaboration.

About the game

Release: Early 2014

Platforms: iOS, Android, BlackBerry, WindowsPhone, PC, Mac

No playable version of the game yet but predecessor (www.somyeol.com)

Trailer of predecessor: http://youtu.be/QiPyK3LiHPg

What we offer

Show an overlay of the artist and track at beginning and ending of the track with a clickable link to a website of choice.

Share of sales from the game soundtrack compilation as in app purchase / bandcamp. Everyone gets 1/n share where n is the number of artists + us(1).

Optional: No share and free download of the track.

Every artist will be listed in the credits and on the store pages.

+any ideas/wishes?

What we need

Original composition or remix of the Somyeol OST, we also accept already existing tracks.

One to two tracks per person around 2 minutes to 5 minutes in length.

Genre: Does not really matter but no extremes and we have to coordinate beforehand.

Agreement that we can use the music for our game, game marketing and soundtrack-compilation(in-app purchase).

Someone who will help us master the tracks.

Any Questions left?

If there is interest the easiest way would be to write us a mail to contact@somyeol.com

I will also will continue to watch this thread, so you can also post your questions here.

Jannik

Oh December's an easy one.

So if you are saying that what you could do is put each artist's name at the bottom of the screen, would it be treated like, say, Need for Speed? Where a new song will come up in a level and there will be a credit for the artist of the song? So then when that's song's over, the next one comes on?

I guess what I'm essentially asking is, is the treatment of the background music that there is a specific track for each level, or just a general playlist of music behind the game? I don't have a problem with it either way; I'm just trying to understand what the feel is for the treatment of the soundtrack.

Thanks for your helpful answers so far. :-D

Oh December's an easy one.

I guess what I'm essentially asking is, is the treatment of the background music that there is a specific track for each level, or just a general playlist of music behind the game? I don't have a problem with it either way; I'm just trying to understand what the feel is for the treatment of the soundtrack.

Hey, we want to play one looped track per level. We do not know if we will assign the tracks to levels or just to the level themes. When a level starts and ends the name and composer will be shown.

After playing Somyeol, I've noticed the songs in the game have a very "keep on trucking" kind of feel to them. Would the majority of the songs need to keep this same feeling from the predecessor?

Hey,

at the moment we are creating a table with moods we will need for the game. The music does not need to reproduce the mood of the original tracks.