Signal Routing Problem

Basically, I've got all this equipment but I can't route the audio around right because I suck at this kind of stuff.

I made a diagram so I could kind of figure it out, but the problem is I have no clue if the setup in the diagram would even work (and to do it I'd have to rearrange my desk area and buy more cables and stuff). So I figured to be safe maybe I could see if you guys would look at it and see if it seems plausible...

The Diagram is here (thumbnail)

th_diagramfixt.jpg

Sorry for it being a bit cluttered and, of course, sloppy paint artwork but making diagrams isn't really my area either. :/

I have to make my objectives clear if I'm to receive any help, obviously. Basically, this is my objective right now:

- ALL audio signals routed into mixer, mixer routed through computer for recording etc., then signal goes out to monitors for playback

Also, I might add more keyboards or audio things in the future, but I expect them to pretty much connect the same way as the keyboard in the diagram.

Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate any help I can get in this area, it's really confusing for a noob like me.

And for those who don't know, Rig Kontrol 2 can basically be thought of in this situation as a preamp for the guitar (correct me if I'm wrong).

P.S. - Balanced cables are confusing. Any problems there?

Some stuff that would be really handy to know:

1) What mixer are you using? Bonus points for finding images online. That way we know what sort of inputs and outputs you have.

2) What sort of monitors do you have? What inputs do they take?

3) What inputs does your soundcard have?

Having said all that, A few things leap out at me:

a) Why is your guitar preampy thing connected to the mixer and computer? If the mixer outputs to the computer, thats redundant, no?

B) The thing labeled "some kind of additional output?" usually exists on most big mixers, even if it is only a pez headphone port. This is why it would be handy to know what type of mixer you have.

Also, Props for the Paint rendition of the guitar. Awesome.

Thanks for your reply. :)

Okay as for mixers, I have currently a Eurorack UB802 (UB802.jpg)

But I wouldn't mind buying a better/more suitable one at all.

My monitors are actives, they take those 1/4" audio cables (TRS I think they're called) XLR, and RCA.

The Guitar Preampy thing, it has to connect to the computer via USB for power and the foot panel switch and other stuff, but it doesn't route the audio through there.. it has separate outputs.

Edit: Damn, now i know why you got confused. I accidentally labeled what was supposed to be the USB port on my computer a line in. I'll fix it.

Edit: I guess I could use XLR cables for the monitors, since I've read that they're better.. more thoughts?

Okay... first of all I recommend getting a bigger mixer, which makes routing way easier. Behringer has very good solutions for that. Things to keep in mind:

- Future Uprade possibilities (always get one mixer bigger than you really need - you don't know WHEN you need it)

- At least one sub-group or something that has an own stereo output (not Tape Out!) for recording stuff a bit better.

Those stuff is essential!

Then you can hook up your material how you want it to be. The sub group is good for recording - for example voice or your guitar, while you can have a mix of your arrangement on the other channels. Very handy. You can go around that if your mixer has "inserts" for the channel or if your mixer offers "direct out" for the channel (but this is a bit more advanced. The rest is simple:

- Microphone to a mono channel (via XLR or not, doesn't matter - but if you use a preamp, do NOT use phantom power via the mixer)

- Guitar to the mixer (if the Guitar Rig 2 thing is a preamp and not just a controller, else the sound comes out of the PC VST Plugin)

- PC to the mixer (stereo bus, if you use multichannel cards, you can route them through the mixer too, but you need additional channels), however I'd get a 1/8" to RCA adapter cable (with RCA to 1,4" plug adapters) or a 1/8" to 2mono 1,4" plug adapter cable.

- Keyboard(s) to the mixer

If you have a subgroup, you can route your individual channels from the mixer (with switches) to your PC input for recording. Alternatively "control room" or "master out" goes too, but deactive "monitoring" in the PC, else you get a deadly feedback loop.

The rest is up to you, mixing, recording and the like. Ah yeah... you said you got active speakers... simply hook them up to your master out (mixer) with either XLR (if the mixer has XLR outs) or with proper adapters.

That's it. You got it pretty much nailed down by yourself already.

I guess I'll throw my routing question in here too, rather than make a new topic for it.

What I'd like to do is record my guitar mic to my PC through a mixer, have the PC send back either the guitar mixed with any other tracks or just the other tracks (as I can get the guitar straight from the mixer), and then get the result out of the mixer to my speakers/headphones. All of that is easy enough, except keeping the signal from the PC from getting into what the mixer is sending it to record. Any suggestions?

I just bought a Behringer UB502 that I suspect isn't up to the task, but I'm probably going to take it back for a larger one - looking at the 802 and 1202 models, however, I can't quite figure out how I'd do it. Thanks for any help.