FL Studio 101 - 90+ Minute Video Course

zircon

Are you an aspiring ReMixer? Do you want to start using FL Studio like so many others here, but don't know where to start? I've been using FL since 2003 and became a power user back in 2009 when I wrote the "NewStuff.flp" demo song, 'Just Hold On'. After creating countless tutorials, I've taken it one step further and created a comprehensive 90+ minute video course titled "FL Studio 101".

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/fl-studio-101-introducing-fl-studio

http://www.askvideo.com/course/fl-studio-101-introducing-fl-studio

Featuring 27 videos, you will learn:

* Every window and editor in FL

* Basic audio & MIDI setup

* MIDI editing and recording

* Workflow organization

* Keyboard shortcuts and gestures

* Adding and using 3rd party plugins

* Mixer routing

* MIDI controller linking

* Automation (clips & events!)

* Multitimbral plugins and routing

* and much more!

The course assumes you have never used FL before, and through careful instruction (with clear, polished VO & 720p video) shows you everything you need to create music in any genre.

Check it out at MacProVideo or AskVideo! :D

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/fl-studio-101-introducing-fl-studio

http://www.askvideo.com/course/fl-studio-101-introducing-fl-studio

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Pitch bending in FL using the standard pitch knob might be fairly unnatural-sounding depending on the plugin (sometimes it feels "stepladder"), but if you want to do it that way, there should be a "2" by default next to the pitch knob (it says "RANGE" right under the "2"). Then just increase that "2" to a "12" to allow a larger pitch bend range and thus one that is more noticeable.

If you mean in the piano roll, it's portamento, and it only works for native plugins like 3xOsc and plugins made for FL's piano roll. You can go into the VST wrapper, click the wrench icon, and enable "Mono". That should allow you to "bend" from one pitch to the next (portamento) in the piano roll for native plugins.

Or, you could double click one of two overlapping notes in the piano roll for a native plugin and enable "Slide" (the right triangle) to slide from one note to another.

4 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

Pitch bending in FL using the standard pitch knob might be fairly unnatural-sounding depending on the plugin (sometimes it feels "stepladder"), but if you want to do it that way, there should be a "2" by default next to the pitch knob (it says "RANGE" right under the "2"). Then just increase that "2" to a "12" to allow a larger pitch bend range and thus one that is more noticeable.

If you mean in the piano roll, it's portamento, and it only works for native plugins like 3xOsc and plugins made for FL's piano roll. You can go into the VST wrapper, click the wrench icon, and enable "Mono". That should allow you to "bend" from one pitch to the next (portamento) in the piano roll for native plugins.

Or, you could double click one of two overlapping notes in the piano roll for a native plugin and enable "Slide" (the right triangle) to slide from one note to another.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

I LEARNED HOW TO PITCHBEND!

Simply select the "squiggle" and "triangle" symbols to the far right of the "change color" option in the piano roll.

place a note of any length (make sure another note is just underneath the note you want to pitchbend!)

next to the note with the symbols.

You can play around with length/time of the notes.

I shall be posting an example of pitchbending this weekend in the "Post your ReMixes!" thread. 

• 5 months later...
19 hours ago, Severian said:

I'm watching the course now. I see FL Studio can run $900. Should I assume the version used in the tutorials is along that price range? 

What I'd call the "base usable" version of FL is a mere $199 (Producer Edition). This will get you several usable plugins (including flagships Sytrus and Maximus, plus GMS, etc.) and the entirety of mixing and sequencing capabilities. With what's included in here, you'll have more than enough to get started making music with a wide palette of tools.