About mixers (and monitors)

P.S., if you're wondering why I'm asking so many questions lately, it's because I'm getting a money increase soon and I want to get some decent equipment while I have the $$$.

Anyways, first about mixers - do I need one? This may seem like such a basic and newbie-ish question, but honestly I have never really seen the need for one. I only use one MIDI controller and one microphone, plugged directly into my soundcard. The rest is all on the computer, I don't have other hardware components. Though I may be getting another MIDI controller also. So do I need to buy a mixer, and if so, for what purpose?

Secondly, about monitors, I posted this in the other thread too but not a lot of response there. Can you get a decent, workable pair of monitors for somewhere around 200 to 350 dollars? I was actually looking at M-Audio's Studio Pro 4 or DX4, but apparently they're not good?

Thank you.

With budget monitors, you sort of get what you pay for. There are a whole lot of factors that can color sound coming out of monitors, from the monitors themselves, to their placement in relation to eachother, their placement in relation to you, to your room, etc. Nonetheless it's definitely not a bad idea to have a pair as another reference. Keep in mind also that you're not looking for the BEST sound necessarily, just the most TRUE sound. That is why Yamaha NS10s were so popular for years among many engineers. They were not particularly good-sounding monitors, but they most accurately represented the home stereo systems of the time period and thus gave the most true mix.

Anyways, first about mixers - do I need one?

(story)

From what you tell me; no. A sufficiently equipped audio interface (or even breakoutbox for portability and the fact you don't have to crawl behind your computer) will do just fine.

You'll only need a mixer if you want to hear more than 2 hardware synthesizers/modules at the same time without switching on your computer.

Can you get a decent, workable pair of monitors for somewhere around 200 to 350 dollars? I was actually looking at M-Audio's Studio Pro 4 or DX4, but apparently they're not good?

It is said that under $1000 you won't find anything good, and upwards the stuff only gets better with small margins, but I don't know if that's adjusted for inflation ;).

Monitors alone will not do the trick; good acoustics help a lot, too.

Re: NS10 - those things are horrible the first time you hear 'm.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/ns10nearfieldmonitors.htm

This article says something important; good monitor speakers allow you to mix in such a way that your music translates very well from one system to another.

Well, the gist that I got from elsewhere is that low priced monitors won't be any use anyways, apparently. So maybe I'll get some money out of my EWQLSO Gold savings, and get some up for better monitors.

$1000 though, not sure if I can go that high....anyone have any advice about a good pair of monitors for about $500 (for the pair)?