Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest [ambient]

Argle

In the Green Gloom

You won't find a more boring rendition of this

. :-) Six minutes of your life you can never get back.

Dude as an ambient/down tempo enthusiast this is excellent. To make it more approachable you only need to shorten sections and add some light interesting drums. BTW what vocals are these they are friggin beautiful!

This should be subbed in either this format or another format. It's way too good.

Dude as an ambient/down tempo enthusiast this is excellent. To make it more approachable you only need to shorten sections and add some light interesting drums. BTW what vocals are these they are friggin beautiful!

This should be subbed in either this format or another format. It's way too good.

Yep, it's already subbed. And actually, I had to repeatedly resist the urge to add anything percussive... I wanted just atmosphere, washed out melody, and light pulsing of the repeated motif. I want to test the limits of the judges patience. :-)

Oh and the voice is from Forest Kingdom, which got a lot of use for obvious reasons.

Edited by Argle

I would like to add some more FX. I'm trying to think of what other animals or sounds would make sense. It's definitely something I am going to work on.

But you subbed it already? Yeah you can always send in a revision. (at least you have your place in line saved, haha!)

I'd add more (and more realistic) birdsong (in addition to what you've got), distant birdsong and maybe even a solo bird here and there (like one up closer and the rest in the distance if you get my meaning?), some frog sounds, babbling water in some parts (not all the way through), and possibly wind here and there, I have a nice "gentle wind with rustling leaves" sample if you'd like it, very peaceful. It would feel like taking a walk in the beautiful forest. Maybe some crickets for a brief nighttime interlude? I have a few things I could send you, actually. And freesound.org is a wealth of sfx, I'd type in "nature sounds" or "birdsong" or similar and just see what comes up.

You could go another way altogether and use ocean sounds, seagulls and whalesong!

And for the pads, I think they could evolve a bit more, they are very tame which is fine but could be a drop more interesting. Just a drop... and maybe even less if you fill out the soundscape more with sfx.

What about some chime sweeps or soft, gently-gated white noise sweeps too? This is lovely but I think it can be even LOVELIER and then I can't see why it wouldn't pass with flying colors. :-)

Ah, you made me remember! I DID want to put in chimes. I need to dig thru my samples and try to find ones that fit.

As for FX, I want the overall feel to be ethereal, yet with an undercurrent of menace. Like, who knows what the dappled light of the ancient forest hides.

Oh? Then you'll love some of the samples I just sent you. Lots of spooky stuff. Also, there's one chime sweep in there, I made it myself, it may not fit though, I think it's too short and upbeat. Try freesound.org, or I can try to make a slower one.

Yep, it's already subbed. And actually, I had to repeatedly resist the urge to add anything percussive... I wanted just atmosphere, washed out melody, and light pulsing of the repeated motif. I want to test the limits of the judges patience. :-)

Oh and the voice is from Forest Kingdom, which got a lot of use for obvious reasons.

Sweet! Best of luck, would love to see more tracks like this one on OCR. BTW if you have Omnisphere there are some good bird or bird-like samples to use. I used them here:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02085/

Sweet! Best of luck, would love to see more tracks like this one on OCR. BTW if you have Omnisphere there are some good bird or bird-like samples to use. I used them here:

http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02085/

Yep I have Omnisphere. What I would really like is some rustling in the leaves, like the enemies in the forest in Chrono Trigger. Also some more creature sounds.

I wonder if I could work in a ringing bell.... :lol:

Edited by Argle

Yeah idk why OCR ppl feel so inclined to always add percussion to their remixes. Not everything needs drums :tomatoface: so I'm glad that you kept it that way...good stuff Argley!

*drool* I want Omnisphere so badly q.q