Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg

MnP01_FF7:Battle_Theme

Starts: Oct. 3rd noon

Ends: Oct. 14th noon

Vote Stage: Oct 14-16 noon to noon =p

Midi

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Darkesword's competition conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Slight alterations of the source are encouraged, but not required.

2. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

3. Stay relatively close to the source's mood and notation. Refer to the example tracks for reference.

4. Any genre is acceptable, so long as it doesn't affect point #3 too much.

5. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

6. Don't make any qualitative remarks about your submissions until after the voting stage.

7. When voting, please try to put enjoyability first, but consider production values as well.

Example Tracks:

FF7_RedXIII_Redux,

EWJ_Wormaphobic Disorder, Source

Terranigma_EnigmaOfABrokenSoul,

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- Don't be afraid to collaborate

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as you aren't going overboard with 'em ;)

- *Some* source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and

MnP

Edited by HoboKa

Where are we to submit our tracks dude? Host them ourselves and PM them to you or have you got ThaSauce up and running?

Guess I shoulda specefied =p Yes the powers that Be at ThaSauce gave me keys to the palace *queue in holy choir*

EDIT

Submit it here when thy time has cometh...aka tomorrow at noon the earliest. When it starts. Sry for the 6-7th edit, but wanna make sure it's clear... lol

MnP01_FF7:Battle_Theme

Edit over9000

I clarified where to submit it in the original post.

Edited by HoboKa

Ooh... this sounds perfect for me. I'm just now faffing about enough with music to pretend I can remix instead of being forever listening, but a competition specifically designed to stay conservative so I don't have to stretch my not-yet-existent arrangement muscles too far?

I like it! A perfect place to debut my negative skills and snag second-to-last place.

Ooh... this sounds perfect for me. I'm just now faffing about enough with music to pretend I can remix instead of being forever listening, but a competition specifically designed to stay conservative so I don't have to stretch my not-yet-existent arrangement muscles too far?

I like it! A perfect place to debut my negative skills and snag second-to-last place.

Never know, could be an awesome cover worth voting #1 for :D Looking forward to hearing your submission :nicework:

thats what i thought when i first entered the Remixing with the stars compo last winter, and i snagged second! hobokas right, you never know!

thats what i thought when i first entered the Remixing with the stars compo last winter, and i snagged second! hobokas right, you never know!

You could snag first place this first round too lol :nicework:

6 days left...I may extend round 1 for a few more days though, so don't panic. Just a reminder to every1 that this compo still exists q.q lol

I see some of the ways people are doing a conservative approach to the source while adding something original. I wasn't really sure what to do. It's weird but I've been in "OCR mode" so long I've kinda forgotten how to do a conservative remix.

All good man...that's the whole point of this compo after all hehe.

But there is one issue that I failed to recognize before starting the compo: What to focus on when voting. For a compo that focuses on conservative/covers - production value probably shouldn't trump enjoyability (of the listener) and a remix with original material versus a full on sound upgrade won't necessarily be a better pick: so basically it boils down to complete subjectivity - something that OCR seems to shun lol.

So...if it's alright with you guys, I'd like to alter the voting rules to better fit this ideal of a 99% subjective voting system. I am truly sorry for not thinking it out thoroughly before starting the compo. If anyone have any concerns or thoughts on the matter, post it either here or via PM - preferably before we start voting.

EDIT

I edited rule #7 on the front page

Edited by HoboKa

how long does it take to activate an account, or can I bypass that to go ahead and submit? I'm trying to contact an administrator but it seems like I have to be registered for that,too... and the site design isn't exactly easy on my eyes so it's hard for me to figure out how to simply submit the daaayum thing.

:tomatoface:

arrangement = done.

just can't figure out how to submit this thing yet. -_-

EDIT: Thanks, I pm'd you, Hobo. Won't go into reviews at this point, but I'm liking all of the entries so far, and I've got a few favorites picked out already. I just think... I should probably be a little more serious with my arrangement next time. XD

Edited by Damashii!!
aaaaw yeeeeeeaaaah boi

Based on the other compos I've seen, I don't believe that any voting instructions make people vote differently than "completely subjective" anyway.

Lol true that...I guess I was just over-analysing it. Anyways, I don't want the emphasis to be on production only. Not that super well produced songs are bad at all :D, just not the only factor for VG music/remixing.

@Damashi!!

Just PM me with the hosted MP3 and I'll submit the sub in your stead. Hopefully by next round you'll have your acc ready to use for ThaSauce.

Edited by HoboKa