Aladdin - Infidel (S.S.H.-inspired Tommy Tallarico)

Dew

Original:

Remix: http://dew-owns-it.com/oops/Dew%20-%20Infidel.mp3

Pretty much complete but tagged as WIP since I'm looking for feedback before I call it finished.

Heavily inspired by Saitama Saishuu Heiki.

In particular, I'm told the ending doesn't work. I was kind of trying to it ease it out but maybe it just ended up being weak for no reason... I welcome anyone's opinion on whether it works or doesn't, in addition to any other gripes, no matter how minor.

Edited by Dew
Finished

Great playing.

Of all the disney related game soundtracks on the genesis this one is probably my favorite track of all of them.

The ending doesn't really work mostly because you go from high energy drums to nothing. If the drummer has that much energy during the song i doubt that person would suddenly just stop playing. Keep it strong to the end and your ending will work just fine.

Other than that I think the upper mids across the track are too earsplitting as it's causing pain at even quiet volumes.

Can't wait to hear the finished version!

• 2 weeks later...
Great playing.

Of all the disney related game soundtracks on the genesis this one is probably my favorite track of all of them.

The ending doesn't really work mostly because you go from high energy drums to nothing. If the drummer has that much energy during the song i doubt that person would suddenly just stop playing. Keep it strong to the end and your ending will work just fine.

Other than that I think the upper mids across the track are too earsplitting as it's causing pain at even quiet volumes.

Can't wait to hear the finished version!

I agree. :| Gotta get that fixed. Also, the kick and bass are really muddy. I can barely hear the kick and the bass is quite boomy. The snare is a little buried too.

I agree. :| Gotta get that fixed. Also, the kick and bass are really muddy. I can barely hear the kick and the bass is quite boomy. The snare is a little buried too.

Thanks for the feedback, my mixing is always something I'm looking to improve. I'm self-taught, so pardon me if some of my questions seem a little silly:

Regarding the feedback you and others have posted on the upper mids being too earsplitting, what frequency range should I be looking at? I'm not hearing anything extraordinary, but I'm not anywhere near a point where I trust my own ears, so I'm glad to have this stuff pointed out to me.

Also, on my faster songs I tend to get similar feedback about the kick being muddy, but I really don't know where to start with this. Would you say it's kind of just slurring together with the bass? Or is it not pronounced enough in general?

Thanks for the feedback, my mixing is always something I'm looking to improve. I'm self-taught, so pardon me if some of my questions seem a little silly:

Regarding the feedback you and others have posted on the upper mids being too earsplitting, what frequency range should I be looking at? I'm not hearing anything extraordinary, but I'm not anywhere near a point where I trust my own ears, so I'm glad to have this stuff pointed out to me.

Also, on my faster songs I tend to get similar feedback about the kick being muddy, but I really don't know where to start with this. Would you say it's kind of just slurring together with the bass? Or is it not pronounced enough in general?

That's fine, I'm self-taught too.

As for the piercing upper mids, I can't really give a very small range without being at home and looking at a downloaded audio file, but I'd estimate it to be 4000~7000Hz. If you try scooping the frequencies a little bit there, and raising and lowering the gain on that frequency band at that location, see if you can hear a difference that you like. If you raise it up, it should eventually get piercing enough for you to hear, but depending on the person it may be higher or lower than for someone else because everyone's ears are different. In FL Studio in particular, it's easier because the EQ module lets you see the frequencies being occupied so you don't have to use only your ears. Fortunately, that's what you use. The brighter the signal, the stronger it is. The thicker the signal, the higher the chance it has of clashing with something else nearby in the frequency range.

Yeah, essentially the bass instrument frequencies and the kick frequencies are "slurring together". That's one possibility. Another possibility is that the drum sample itself is just bad to start with, and you'd need to accommodate for that with boosts in the strength frequencies and/or cuts in the problem frequencies. For example, ~4000Hz often for a little bit of high end click, 81~140Hz often for a low end punch, and 20~80Hz often for a low end boominess. Again, often, but not always.

Probably a third possibility I'd think of is that you haven't yet learned about (or known to look up if you haven't heard of it) sidechaining. Sidechaining is a method where mixer track A's output pushes down mixer track B's output (at a certain slope and intensity, which can be experimented with) without actually doubling mixer track A's output. In other words, mixer track A is linked to mixer track B silently while A is linked to the Master track at regular volume. This is useful when, for example, you want your kick and bass to gel together. The kick can push the output of the bass down only as the kick plays, and the muddiness is avoided. The reason this is a better way than scooping the bass and boosting the kick (or vice versa) in the same frequency range is that you maintain the power/body of the tones for each part. The kick doesn't lose low end power, and the bass doesn't either, yet their frequencies don't clash audibly.

Edited by timaeus222