What does Global-Trance even do?

Global-Trance

A lot of people know me more as a DJ that does seamless harmonic mixes (which can be found at http://www.global-trance.com and more recently https://soundcloud.com/hi-im-gt) but on the side I do visual art stuff!

Due to the sheer size of some of these images and the fact that I will be dumping a lot of stuff here now and will continue to do so, I'm going to go through with CREATING CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS.

I'm mostly a digital artist but I'll be throwing in some drawing from time to time... hopefully.

I'll start with the 3D stuff.

Facial Anatomy Studies (Modeled and textured in ZBrush)

skullsthumbs.jpg AWu_Module_02_Faces_thumbs.jpg

My Version of the Creature from "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". (Modeled in ZBrush)

AWu_Module_02_Monsters_thumbs.jpg

Basic Armor Suit (Modeled and quickly painted in ZBrush)

armorthumbs.jpg

Skin and Polypaint Test (Edited model and painted in ZBrush)

headsculptpolypaint_thumbs.jpg

Chain Armor Modeling (Modeled in ZBrush - yes all of that is actual geometry)

micromesharmor_thumbs.jpg chainarmorthumbs.jpg

Punching Mech Suit (Modeled in ZBrush)

punchsuit_thumbs.jpg

Prototype Bike (Modeled and rendered in Maya with Mental Ray)

bike_render_no_kickstand_thumb.jpg

Subsurface Scattering Study (Textured in Maya, rendered in with Mental Ray, model supplied by Digital Tutors)

orangejuicethumbs.jpg

Edited by Global-Trance

Thanks! And here's more stuff... Remember, these are all CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS.

Texturing and Rendering Studies (Textured in Maya, rendered with Mental Ray, models supplied by Digital Tutors)

conceptroomthumbs.jpg livingroomthumbs.jpg

Product Visualization Prototype for a Headset (Modeled and textured in Maya, rendered with Mental Ray)

productviz_thumbs.jpg

I'm also an animation student so I gotta learn some basic rigging. Rigging is the construction of the skeleton and controls that are used to animate a 3D model. (Maya)

riggingcompthumbs.jpg

Surprise! (Keyframe screenshots in Maya)

surprisecompthumbs.jpg

Basic Sit-to-Stand (Keyframe screenshots in Maya)

standthumbs.jpg

I still have to draw sometimes so here's some drawing stuff I did with charcoal.

Russian Figure Drawing/Study

russianstudythumbs.jpg

Portraits

portraitthumbs.jpg portrait02thumbs.jpg

Still Life

stilllife02thumbs.jpg

Edited by Global-Trance

After getting a math degree and not wanting to teach or have some lame desk job, I decided to study visual art stuff because it was really interesting to me, especially with all the video games I play. I went into grad school for 3D animation on a whim. I didn't really have an art background before I applied and I put all my eggs in one basket which I probably shouldn't have but I guess it worked out... I didn't have a portfolio so I had to come up with some drawings I made from a couple foundation drawing classes for the most part. Right now I'm delaying my graduation as much as I possibly can because I feel like I am not getting the support I need from my faculty from the whole thesis project. Or at least I feel like they won't let me learn what I would like to learn because of how restricted things have become. Until I feel like continuing, I still continue to take workshops and work on pieces for the portfolio that will look really nice, like the stuff I've been modeling in ZBrush. Stuff takes a lot of practice and I continually feel like a huge noob compared to my peers but as I found out, anyone can do artwork. Talent is a factor, but anyone can work hard enough to make an outstanding piece of art regardless of talent.

And now more THUMBNAILS TO CLICK ON...

Some Hands!

handsthumb.jpg

Some stylized studies of hands and feet. Oh and a bust with some drapery.

hands01thumbs.jpg feet01thumbs.jpg feet02thumbs.jpg torsoillthumbs.jpg

Bust Study

headthumbs.jpg

Lizz, another member of the boards here that come around from time to time lives a couple miles from me. She was my subject for a couple stylized illustrations.

lizz01thumbs.jpg lizz02thumbs.jpg

That's all for now. Feel free to leave comments. I will be posting more later!

That's really cool. I have a bit of trouble keeping to my own goals without a bit of encouragement so I admire that you have the drive to go for something you like. I always considered myself "off-limits" to art because I don't have any foundation in it. All my stuff looks worse than a 5 year old's work!

And from where I'm sitting, your stuff looks amazing!

Edited by kitty

Sometimes when you need some inspiration it's best to throw stuff out there and draw whatever comes to your mind at random and see what sticks. Here are some sketches I did on the 18th. I put them on Facebook and forgot that I should probably put them here too.

These turned out to look a lot like Rorschach Tests with the inkblots and all and it was fun to see people seeing different things and commenting on them. I liked this way of tossing around ideas so I might do these more often for fun. These are 1920x2160 so I definitely had to make them clickable thumbnails...

I sketched these using Alchemy (http://http://al.chemy.org/) and I recommend it if you need to just sketch whatever come to you. It has an element of randomness and chaos to it and it makes for some very happy accidents sometimes!

alchemy_prototypesketching_comp01thumbs.jpg alchemy_prototypesketching_comp02thumbs.jpg alchemy_prototypesketching_comp03thumbs.jpg alchemy_prototypesketching_comp04thumbs.jpg

alchemy_prototypesketching_comp05thumbs.jpg alchemy_prototypesketching_comp06thumbs.jpg alchemy_prototypesketching_comp07thumbs.jpg

Edited by Global-Trance

I think these are my favorite things you posted so far, GT. I briefly attempted to get into making logos or stencil type art a LOOOOOONG time ago. These are just so cool. I want to say which ones are my favorite but I can't decide because they're all awesome! Though I will say 67 looks like a lion dude to me :3

Here's my first try at modeling a full body. I started with a female figure. Base model, no hair. Click to see a much larger image. This one is a bit NSFW. Modeled in ZBrush.

AWu_base_female_full_body_thumbs.jpg

This will be the basis for any more detailed 3D female character work later on.

Self Critique: I skimped out on the toes and some finger detail. The toes need to be thicker so I will go back and fix that. I could have made some more indications of the anatomy of the forearm as well.

Also if you're going to get worked up about the lady bits, you can look forward to the manly bits whenever I sculpt the male figure later.

Edited by Global-Trance