Favorite musical memory?

Neifion

Having to listen to Steve Reich's

(an hour-long minimalistic piece) for a college music theory class and quickly realizing that instead of being tedious it was pretty much the best music ever.

Also, I was fortunate enough to see a performance of Sweeney Todd (Broadway revival version) in which the actors also played all of the instruments onstage. Best performance of anything I've ever seen.

Edited by Moseph

I was in grade 9. Up to that point, my musical exposure had been all kinds of classical stuff, 70's folk (mostly Simon & Garfunkel), the Beach Boys, and the popular music of the day that my Mom didn't know I listened to (whatever was on the radio on the local rock and popular music stations in the mid-90's, stuff like Guns & Roses & Nirvana). I had no exposure to jazz, other than it being the music that would cause my Mom to turn off the radio on our drive to and from my Saturday-morning piano lessons.

I played with the grade 9-10 concert band in grade 9, and at a music night for all the school's bands and choirs, I heard the grade 11-12 jazz band play. I liked a lot of their stuff, but absolutely loved the big band arrangement of Weather Report's Birdland. That sparked my interest in jazz and kicked off a journey of trying to discover all kinds of new music. In the last 7 years, I've become a good keyboard player for rock/pop kind of stuff, and in an interesting chain of events (I like jazz -> I get my 10-years-younger-than-me brother into it -> he studies jazz guitar performance in college -> his college buddies introduce him to Snarky Puppy -> he introduces me to Snarky Puppy -> they inspire me to stop just playing at church and get back into jazz/funk/fusion), I'm now back to jazz, self-learning the theory and technique to develop some real jazz chops and knowledge, beyond the "fake it" approach I've had so far. As a bonus, I can borrow all my brother's textbooks for free :)

I owned a copy of the Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack because it just happened to come with the game. I remember my family copying it from the CD to cassette because I didn't have a portable CD player then. I used to listen to it in the car from start to finish every time we went out. Good times.

To this day I still don't have a remix of Wozza's Cave (I don't count Freezeey Peak's music even though it's basically the same thing).

Edited by kitty

Raw pure sound... in recent memory i'm gonna go because of many levels the Opening to RWBY (its on youtube) This will be the day is something really to listen to.

Sound+Visual...It has to be a tossup between the Opera Aria in FF6 which was the most anticipated track OCR has EVER done on a personal level. And the FF7 Death Scene. Both of those affected me on a level few other sound tracks have. An Honorable Mention on that list however is the Opening Sequence of Bayonetta. To say they got that RIGHT was an understatement.

I saw the Mountain Goats in concert, and the last encore was their song "The Best Ever Death Metal Band Out of Denton," which was preceded by a story where John Darnielle was a nurse at a mental ward, and he was interviewing a 13 year old kid, who was just brought in against his will. The story is heart wrenching, and was then followed by a piano version of the song, which had so much more emotion put in, being a song about kids having their lives and dreams ripped from them. I was nearly in tears.

, this is not the concert I was at, but this is the speech and the song he played. Edited by PixelPanic