Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Congratulations to Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo!

Brandon Strader

Final Fantasy: Crystal Clash

Presented by the OverClocked ReMix Forums

Introduction

Now is our time to do the Final Fantasy: Crystal Clash tournament! The goal of this competition is to choose a single character theme from the main numbered Final Fantasy series and then mix that with your opponent's theme. This will provide some interesting combinations and some fantastic music from you, the artists! The "loser" of each round will have their crystal shattered, but there are not truly losers to this competition - everyone's a winner! Join us in #ocrcompo on irc.esper.net, a chatroom run by DarkeSword.

Need help choosing a character theme? Want to see the current choices of participants? Click here.

Find your personalized signature for the compo here!

Current News

DOWNLOAD THE FINALS!!

On January 26th, Tuberz McGee and Eino Keskitalo will enter the final round, and only one will emerge victorious. The remixing for that round will end on Groundhog Day, then a voting period of 1 week to determine the final winner of the competition. VOTING ENDS on the 10TH!!!!!

Collaborations with and contributions from outside artists are allowed, but the primary artist must be the actual competitor. Remember to submit WAV files, not MP3s.

Check the Voting and Results section of this post for voting rules and guidelines.

Our hero enters a cave that had been spoken of by sages in a nearby village. It was claimed to hold unbelievable wealth and riches beyond imagining, but for a price. The scent of mud and dirt fills the cave with stalactites dripping consistently; caused by condensation, and the drainage of water from the surface above the cave. Our hero looks on, and sees a familiar face. Together they discover that the door to continue has a crystal carved into the center, and a depiction of a shattered crystal. The heroes are confused, as they know of no such crystals. They look around the cave, and in the center they notice two crystals, a few feet apart, sitting on their own pedestals. Surely, these crystals were not there when they entered the cave. When our heroes touch the crystals, one bonds to one, and the other bonds with the other. Now they understand the depictions on the door, but the exit has also been obscured by a door -- with the same crystal, and shattered crystal, on its surface.

It is clear that one crystal can continue, and one cannot. The heroes choose to fight for progress - fairly, at first, but ever more violent as the rooms continue to become more enticing, with the promise of even greater treasure.

Brackets

The Light

Match-Ups and Bracket Image

TSNouWZ.jpg

The Darkness

Match-Ups and Bracket Image

4OTrK61.jpg

Round Downloads

Round 1 - Light Bracket

Round 2 - Darkness Bracket

Round 3 - Light Bracket

Round 4 - Darkness Bracket

Round 5 - Light Bracket

Round 6 - Darkness Bracket

Final Fantasy Crystal Clash - Finals

Voting and Results

Voting takes place at the FFCC social group, here on the forums. Things to keep in mind when voting:

• Everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to vote.
  • The most important thing to consider when voting is how well the remix incorporates and arranges both themes. Production and enjoyability should also be considered.
  • You are required to vote in each battle taking place during the round. If you don't, none of your votes will be counted for that round.
  • You are not required to vote in battles that have a competitor advancing by default (in the case of missed deadlines or resignation). Generally, a voting thread for these battles will not be made.
  • You are required to make an actual decision between two competitors for each battle, meaning, you cannot declare a draw or a tie. This will be counted as not voting and your other votes for other battles will not be counted.
  • You are allowed (and encouraged) to vote for your own entry when voting in your own remix battle.
  • Do not post reviews in the voting thread. Compile your reviews for a round into a single post in this thread.
  • Post the name of the remixer you're voting for in boldface text.
  • Post only once in each voting thread.
  • Everyone must adhere to the Competitions Code of Conduct.

Submission

All entries must be sent to me (Brandon Strader) via PM on the forums. Please include the name of your bracket and the round number in the subject line of your PM.

I will be encoding all MP3s myself, so please send me your submissions in WAV format. Do not send MP3s.

File names must be in the following format:

Remixer - Title (Remixer's Character vs. Opponent's Character).wav

Example:

DarkeSword - Snow Problem (Snow vs. Vivi).wav

Note that versus is abbreviated with a period (e.g. Snow vs. Vivi, not Snow vs Vivi). Your artist name and mix title can be whatever capitalization you want but the Character names must be capitalized properly (e.g. Zidane, not XxZiDaNexX).

Properly formatted file names make it much easier for me to tag everything properly, which ensures good, consistent metadata on all the files that will be distributed to voters.

You must adhere to this file name standard. If you don't, I will seriously consider disqualifying you, and I don't think anyone wants to be disqualified just because they couldn't name their file properly.

FAQ

How does it work?

You, the remixer, choose any Character from a main numbered Final Fantasy game (no spinoffs or sequels). Choose wisely, because this will be your Character throughout the entire tournament. Once all competitors choose their Characters, they'll be matched up with an opponent.

When the round begins, remixers will have one week to write a "vs. remix;" that is to say, a remix featuring the themes of their own Character and their opponent's Character.

When the round ends, a public voting period of one week will be conducted for each battle.

The tournament will be single-elimination, with two brackets competing on alternating weeks to make things manageable. There will be a Light Bracket and a Darkness Bracket.

All participating competitors and voters will adhere to the Competitions Code of Conduct.

So do I just pick a Character? Is it first-come-first-served?

I'll be doing a draft for Character selection. If you're planning on participating, please post a list of three Characters you're interested in claiming, in the order of preference. Once everyone posts their lists, I'll go through and assign everyone their first-pick, resolving any conflicts with a coin-toss and moving down the lists as necessary. You will only be assigned one Character for the competition. Some characters don't have their own themes.

Does this include related boss themes?

If the boss is featured as a character in the game (such as Sephiroth or Kuja) and have their own theme, then yes.

When does it start?

The draft/recruitment period will last two weeks or so, so tell your friends and get people to participate! I'm shooting for 16 remixers, but if we get 24 or 32 that'd be phenomenal. Once we have the minimum amount, I'll gauge how much more interest there is and go from there.

I'm not a remixer but I want to take part somehow. What can I do to help?

We need sigs and artwork and stuff, so if you're good with the Photoshops, that would be a big help.

What about Chocobo Dungeon/Lightning Returns/Dirge of Cerberus/etc?

This tournament is limited to the main numbered Final Fantasy series.

Did you steal the layout for this thread and all the ideas from DarkeSword?

Borrowed, steal is a strong word :-)

What if we don't want to use a Blackberry because they are stupid and pointless?

These are company-wide, Dwight.

Edited by Brandon Strader

Should we post our picks here? If yes, then:

1. FFVI Setzer

2. FFVI Shadow

3. FFVII Red XIII

Since I was the first (at least at the time of posting) I thought about taking Terra, but I think it should be given to someone who deserves it more

Edit: And I really hope I will be in the darkness bracket because of my username and stuff :P

Edited by Yami

This is the place to post your picks. I believe anyone deserves Terra but everyone and their mother has already remixed it. Hopefully people don't vote based on the popularity of a character or their theme, so anything like that is open for anyone to grab. As for being in the Darkness bracket, hopefully you are lucky. I need to ask DarkeSword how he randomized it, but all of the brackets and matchups should be 100% random.

Nice picks, but please choose Edgar OR Sabin, on the other hand it is fine to represent both Zorn and Thorn. Unless you want to just choose one.

Need help choosing a character theme? Click here.

^ Also added to first post. Let's keep the lists coming! :-D

A week of mixing followed by a week of voting, then the people who continue do a week of mixing, then another week of voting. I think that's how it works, so people would get a week to remix and a week off to vote. The pace isn't too bad there, and it helps keep it consistent and fair.

I know there are some days of the week I'm more available than others, so it helps to keep it even. I'm thinking Sunday at midnight to the following Sunday midnight EST.

Ahem. Where's
?

I did some research and Gilgamesh is more of a boss. I didn't want this to turn into "BadAss: Boss Themes the Compo" so I didn't list that, but if someone wants to put Gilgamesh on their list then we'll need to figure out if it can fly, but I'm hoping nobody does. :-)

Brandon you should throw the character themes in a google doc spreadsheet or something and link to that. Better to not maintain pertinent info about the competition in two separate threads. That way if people have questions about sources they can ask and have them answered here, in the main competition thread.

Working on it, thanks! :-)

I did some research and Gilgamesh is more of a boss. I didn't want this to turn into "BadAss: Boss Themes the Compo" so I didn't list that, but if someone wants to put Gilgamesh on their list then we'll need to figure out if it can fly, but I'm hoping nobody does. :-)

Gilgamesh is a recurring character throughout the series. Yes, he's a boss, but he's almost a mascot of sorts, too. I don't think there would be any detriment to making a special exception for him and only him.

Sure, I'll bite...

Sazh - Final Fantasy XIII

Auron - Final Fantasy X

Paine - Final Fantasy X-2

Can you pick a new #3? It's only the main numbered FF, no sequels or spinoffs. :cry: Hopefully you don't need a #3 anyway, but just to be safe!

Gilgamesh is a recurring character throughout the series. Yes, he's a boss, but he's almost a mascot of sorts, too. I don't think there would be any detriment to making a special exception for him and only him.

Ok, Gilgamesh is a go if someone wants to choose that as one of their picks.

ALSO, the Google Doc is ready with the Character list, ninja editing it into the other links! Check first post.