OCR01467 - F-Zero "Voices Broken"

djpretzel

This song brings back memories. I'd play all three Mute City tracks just to hear it's absolutely awesome song over and over again. It's undeniably one of the most catchy and upbeat tunes from the SNES era. and it still survives even today with it's capability to be used in so many musical styles and retain it's power. This mix is definitely no exception. It really feels powerful and jagged, almost elegant at points. The transition between instruments and the melodic structure are very complex and well put together throughout.

Well, after a few listens, I must conclude that this song kicks ass. The best part is if you hit repeat on the player, it just picks up again where it left off. Awesome replay value just for that.

Drums blah blah...but, still, being a drummer, that groove calls out to me. Especially the first 30 seconds or so, a great example of what I lovingly refer to as a drumgasm. A little showoff-ish overall...but, still a great explosive start to a very solid, very enjoyable 4 minute ride. And not generic, thank God.

Swell work here, Just swell.

Drums blah blah...but, still, being a drummer, that groove calls out to me. Especially the first 30 seconds or so, a great example of what I lovingly refer to as a drumgasm. A little showoff-ish overall...

Is it possible for a sequenced drum part to be "showoff-ish?"

Still, that comment made my day.

I take back my comment on the lack of low end...I was listening on my headphones before and they don't push low bass quite as well as my speakers do. My only real critique about the bass now is that there's barely any accenting on it. it's there alright, but it feels like the attack is gone...

anyways, on to other things. The drumwork is phenom, not what I expected out of you.

Good work

I take back my comment on the lack of low end...I was listening on my headphones before and they don't push low bass quite as well as my speakers do. My only real critique about the bass now is that there's barely any accenting on it. it's there alright, but it feels like the attack is gone...

anyways, on to other things. The drumwork is phenom, not what I expected out of you.

Good work

The bass has barely any accenting on it because I really, really suck at the bass. Not as bad as you suck at bowling, but you get the point.

Not my cup of tea. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me as the lead is muffled. It's extremely dirty and unpolished. It feels as though it's just a bunch of different sounds thrown together, a mishmosh of different ideas executed poorly. Listen to it for yourself, but its not something I'm going to be spending much time with in the future.

dbledit: Incoherent and abrasive and are the words I'd use to describe this piece. The drums really mess this one up, as does the volume of the individual parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't listen to the haters man. Some of us like to hear something a little different. Not every song should need to fit a 'Perfect Pop Outline' imo. Would love to know your influences, can hear some awesome styles in there.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is the best mix I've heard on OC so far. I'm not a fan of overproduction, I think the idea of what actually sounds real gets lost on some folks and what they think sounds real is some crystal clear abomination of the truth.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Didn't we all become depressed and reclusive, find solace in music, and lose our scholarships sophomore year? ...no? oh. ...doppelganger?

This is phenomenal. The production is raw, the guitars are dirty, and the percussion is in-your-face. That in itself is a recipe for awesomeness. But the energy... the energy is what truly makes this remix. It's passive-aggressive. The drums and guitars floor you right off the bat then leave just as abruptly, leaving you dazed with some almost-soothing bass noodling and contradictorily tense drumming. Then another guitar explosion! Then more subdued tension - with, like before, a six-string playing backup to the bass, and that's just freaking cool. Then the final kick-it-out starts at 2:23 and never lets up. I can't not air guitar this entire section, and 3:02... yesssss. Plus I hear a touch of angst throughout the song, and that makes it all the more moshable. For me, Mute City has literally become Voices Broken. The only reason I can imagine revisiting the source is for a little extra nostalgia, but even then this remix is simply too kickass to go back.

Rawk indeed.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, very different sound from Jon this time around! We haven't heard this kind of heavy indie rock from him yet. It's a little chaotic, but I can hear that you find the pocket pretty quickly. The drums sound much better in this mix than your others that also utilize the more acoustic sounding kits. They are compressed as hell, but it matches the genre well. I do wish the kick had a little more oomph to it, but hey, what can you do :). The guitar solo with the rockin' drums was a great part! I would have loved to have heard the guitar parts doubled to give them a little more depth, but they still have character as is. The mellow delay guitar has a great tone to it. The ending was very abrupt, but there you go :). It's great to hear Jon step out of what he had been doing!

• 6 months later...

This does definitely have some of the Seattle Indie-rock feel. The lead guitar felt a little weak to me, but it was passable to be sure. Being what it is, I am definitely going to be listening to it seeing as I am an Indie-rock junkie hehehe.

Awesome style, and quite unique to OCR from what I've heard. JJT's track on Voices of the Lifestream really caught my ear when I started to listen to OCR offerings more. When I listened to his other OCR stuff, this was the track that I came to love the most. I was very much into indie/alternative rock stuff in the 90s (I feel so old) so I'm very fond of how this piece is done.

--Eino

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01467 - F-Zero "Voices Broken"