OCR01476 - *YES* Rayman 2 'Disconnected'

djpretzel

Okay so I was talking to Rayman the other day, and he was pretty mad about the whole not having any of his games on OCR. So I was like, hey dude you don't have any arms or legs so maybe I should do a remix. And he was like good plan little man. I told him that was a strange thing to say because I am much taller than him and not to mention I am real and he is not.

-Contact Information-

I'm in the database already, under the gloriously paradoxical alias of chthonic.

-ReMix Information-

Remix title - "Disconnected"

Game Remixed - Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Original Composer: Eric Chevalier

Copyright: Ubisoft, 1999

System: Nintendo 64

Songs Remixed: Main Theme, Pirate Battle

Screenshot/Game Image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/chthonic/rayman2.gif (If you do not use this image it will hurt my feelings and seriously good luck finding a better one.)

-chth

why yes I did forget the link thank you for asking

-chth

I'm having trouble with this one. There's a lot about it that's good. I'm trying to describe it as completely as I can while still being clear.

This mix has a lot of subtlety that is done particularly well. Panning, percussion hits, breaks. The instruments are simple, but tight. countermelodies (like the flute) are really cool.

The mix is weaker when looking at the big picture. The groove is pretty much the same throughout. There isnt so much escalation as there is switching off between instruments and ideas.

I feel similarly to this one as I do about Bonsai Garden.

I'm borderline, but I think this is tighter than bonzai garden; I feel this ought to pass.

YES

Programming of the grooves is pretty good. Some clever decisions with breaks and claps/hi-hats.

This mix starts off rather flat, your bass synth sounds rather bland, I think it could be a little punchier in the bass and less-so in the mids.

As Vig said, some pretty cool panning and stuff going on through the mix, 'specially when that Sitar thing comes in.

Mostly this is just a basic fun mix. The choices of instruments and such leaves a lot to be desired in some areas. The arrangement from what I can tell sounds very clever, and with the little easter eggs (most appropriate for easter) of other songs in there, it just adds to the charm.

Could be a little longer, could be a little more involved in parts. It is, after all, a very minimalistic mix. I think it passes our bar though.

YES

http://rayman2.ubi.com - "Main Theme" (High-Speed Connections -> Downloads -> Goodies -> Rayman's Music -> 1)

http://c9.servage.net/~sc19031-ZCPG/usf/sets/prelim/Rayman%202%20-%20The%20Great%20Escape%20-%20Parasyte/Rayman2-FixedTimings.rar - "Level 12 - (P2) Riding a Chair" & "Robotpirate Fight 1" (or almost any version of the 12)

I at least found a 35-second clip of Rayman 2's main theme from the game's official site to compare with this mix, so excuse me if I'm only making partial connections to it. Besides the similar "Riding a Chair" (which Ben pointed out to me; thanks, Ben), the preliminary USF rip I got didn't seem to have the actual main theme anywhere, hence the holdup.

Opening of the mix didn't have much to do with the source there, although there were some liberal connections later. Melody of this song came in at :23, seemingly having jack to do with the original.

Synths played with the Main Theme's rhythms at :42, while the pizz strings at :55 referred to it more straightforwardly before segueing into a shot of Yankee Doodle from 1:11-1:19. Main Theme wasn't overtly referred to until the pizz strings played it on background for the sitar from 1:28-1:43.

1:43 transitioned to the "Robotpirate Fight" theme playing rhythm along with having the synth woodwind double it for a while, later followed by some cool metallic/industrial-type sounds until 2:15.

Original melody from :23 returned at 2:33 before returning to subtly referencing the Main Theme from 2:49 until the end. He used variations of the Main Theme in a few more background places I didn't bother to mention. Basically play-by-played it with my vote since things were already good. Nice use of the chosen sounds, and solid production per Ben's usual.

YES