OCR02901 - *YES* Perfect Dark 'Killing Hope'

Palpable

Your ReMixer name: Zas

Your website: zazmusic.bandcamp.com

Name of game(s) arranged: Perfect Dark

Name of arrangement: killing hope

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Chicago

Named after a book of the same name, not meant to be a creepy message toward composer Grant Kirkhope, who is the video game trip-hop champion imo

Edited by djpretzel

Pretty cool vibe going on here, gritty and nuanced. The lead synths didn't quite fit in the rest of the soundscape tonally, but they were decent enough. The treatment of them fit the sounds well; it just seemed a little too 'spooky' and haunted housing. I kindof miss the guitar arpeggio from the original source, since it was my favorite part, and while it's really subdued in the remix, I think on a personal level it could come out a bit more.

Some weird off key stuff around 2:15, yuck. :-(

and then a cool choir sample that sounded really cool. Nice save. :-)

Overall I think this takes the source into a darker direction that works pretty well, and though I would make different decisions on the remix, it's well represented here.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say that overall, this track is...perfectly dark. *exits to chorus of boos*

Actually, in all seriousness, I really enjoyed this one. It's clear there's a lot of source usage, although you didn't use all of the source, which made me a bit sad. :-(

That said, I'm a huge fan of those drums. They never get old, despite being essentially the same throughout the entire song. Fantastic work on the glitch processing to keep it fresh! My only nitpick on them would be that they seem to be just a tad too far forward in the mix, but that might be a personal thing.

I will side with OA in that some of the lead sounds you used didn't really jive with the atmosphere of the song, being a bit dry and a bit bright, but the fact that the screencap you had as the album picture was all neon and stuff made me forgive it a bit more. The filtered/detuned saw lead would be what I'm referring to here, since they fit in nicely with that Blade Runner-esque vibe of the screencap.

I don't mind that little dissonant section, as it resolves itself nicely.

Yeah, I'm definitely comfortable passing this one. Source usage is go, the drums are fantastically glitchy, and the atmosphere is thick. Production across the board is definitely above the bar.

YES

• 1 month later...

Wow... so dark... much depress... very creep... I love this.

I'm not a huge fan of the lead at 1:35 as I feel it breaks up the mood and instrument cohesiveness just some. Something less piercing and sawlike may have been a better choice, yet it fits with the creepy ideas here.

The glitching, sfx and old vinyl crackling are divine. The choir and whistley sound are great. Even the bit of distortion on the piano-esque arp is a fit. Plenty of source, very good arrangement. Love it.

YES

On the surface, this is a standard remix of the Perfect Dark source - it follows the structure of the original pretty closely. But what you brought to this is a remarkably haunting mood created with some unorthodox instruments and FX. The drums were excellent - distorted, panned strangely, and echoed to sound truly unsettling. There's an art to making them sound weird without putting off the listener, but you balanced that line perfectly. On top of that, they had endless tweaks to keep them from getting stale. Nothing really threw me here, from the saw lead to the slightly off-key section. Everything worked.

YES