Music Mentor

YuriTajento

Why does it need to have a personal mentoring system? You can ask questions largely to your heart's desire right here: http://ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I've scoured around and OCR's community help there is among the best in the internet. Everywhere else, you get arrogant blowhards giving you unhelpful advice and laughing at your spelling mistakes (KVR).

Good luck finding anyone experienced enough to be a mentor that has the time to spend on this.

That's why I haven't come up with anything yet. It will need to have a scope that's manageable. Not just hooking up two people so one can bug the other all day every day. So it has to be for a period of time, or to complete one mix, or even just to learn one skill like how to eq a drum kit. I do NOT want this to turn into a compo, either.

Gonna be working on this. Any ideas to make this workable are appreciated.

Why does it need to have a personal mentoring system? You can ask questions largely to your heart's desire right here: http://ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Well, most people might not know how experienced someone is, what his goals are, what his progress is and how he learns new things. A mentor will get to know this information and because of that, he will be able to help and teach his mentee better.

Also what's a compo :oops:

Also what's a compo :oops:

It's a "competition." We have one here called Remixing With the Stars, in which a posted remixer mentors a non-posted remixer through one mix to be completed in a week, and the results are judged against other such pairs at the end and a winner is declared. I did this compo once, as a "star," and my mentee never gave me the opportunity to help her. In other pairings it worked out much better and even resulted in postable mixes being produced.

What I'm thinking of is a program that actually helps people, without any kind of judgement or winners/losers or a time limit. It just has to be manageable, because as Argle pointed out, people are busy.

Yes the forums are GREAT. But I'm thinking of something more personal, and therefore more useful. If we can make it manageable! Otherwise this is just an exercise in futility.

Well, most people might not know how experienced someone is, what his goals are, what his progress is and how he learns new things. A mentor will get to know this information and because of that, he will be able to help and teach his mentee better.

Sorry to break it to you, but it is asking ALOT of someone to mentor someone. Plus to do it for free based upon the other person's schedule is nuts. I love teaching and helping people but doing it at my own time and my own pace.

Just ask away for questions and watch youtube videos. There are tons available to cover pretty much all of the basics. Check out Recording Revolution or Pensado's Place once you get a bit more advanced

I'm all for fostering a community where people can help one another and treat each other with respect. But the day it turns into a situation where someone feels entitled that they receive help will be the end of it. (not saying in anyway the OP is entitled)

EDIT: Having better classifications and examples in the workshop forum would help. That way it is quicker to browse through threads where people post their concerns/questions. Ironically having a "mixing" compo would be awesome. But where people aren't eliminated. So you mix 4-5 songs. 1-2 weeks to mix each one. Everybody votes for their top 3 each week. And each individual receives points each week. Whoever has the most at the end wins. If people could provide stems from their OC ReMixes or project mixes that would be wicked.

Edited by avaris

• 3 weeks later...
If people could provide stems from their OC ReMixes or project mixes that would be wicked.

I've actually provided stems for my last two major compo entries. I submitted both of them already. I think that counts.

Anyways, I'd support a compo with an emphasis on mixing. Production values seem less arbitrary than arrangement, to me. Sometimes people can perceive dynamics differently than what the remixer expected based on how their production conveys their arrangement, but if we just focus on production, it's a form of ear training for both the remixer and the person giving feedback. There are times when subjectivity gets in the way of true (objective-only) production critique, but that's something else that can be worked on too.

Example conversation (this happened once, in some form or another):

Hey, I just wanted to point something out.

The drums here have a rhythm that suggests a dubsteppish section, but the timbres you have are commonly associated with dance/club music. Perhaps it would help to go scouring for more drum samples and to go back over these drums. Just a thought.

Well, that's just your opinion. I like these drums. I think they sound great.
No, I meant that the drums have a timbre that makes it sound like those samples came from a club music drum sample pack. i.e. They were made for dance music in the first place. It's not my opinion, but my testimonial on my experiences with drums. Dubstep, or dubsteppish drums, have a tighter, more pronounced and glued timbre to them that evoke power and loudness, and this doesn't convey that as it is right now. I feel like I should be dancing in slow motion. :<
Edited by timaeus222