OCR02804 - Donkey Kong Country "Focus"

Liontamer

I thought the intro piano was pretty quiet and unusually distant, and that the other elements at that moment seemed more tasteful from the sound design perspective. Great bell at 1:35, and the trebly sweeps are really well done. Bass at 2:00 was a bit much in the 60Hz for my headphones, to the point of it being grating after 1 or 2 minutes, but it may just be me. The arp at 2:22 and other similar spots was pretty loud, while the bells at 2:55 and other similar spots were pretty distant, but I guess it's ok.

I thought the same as Larry at 4:15 with the leading strings; a little underwhelming compared to the other electronic elements due to the somewhat flat articulation used. The lead at 5:18 is a pretty nice sync lead, and certainly tops the strings. I wouldn't say, then, that the strings were meant to come off that way, but oh well.

Not repetitive enough to be a track where people will want to skip around on it, and nitpicks aside, pretty solid track. Good job man.

Edited by timaeus222

I thought the intro piano was pretty quiet and unusually distant, and that the other elements at that moment seemed more tasteful from the sound design perspective. Great bell at 1:35, and the trebly sweeps are really well done. Bass at 2:00 was a bit much in the 60Hz for my headphones, to the point of it being grating after 1 or 2 minutes, but it may just be me. The arp at 2:22 and other similar spots was pretty loud, while the bells at 2:55 and other similar spots were pretty distant, but I guess it's ok.
I agree with all this. My one big crit of this remix is that the volume is all over the place. A comfortable volume level for the intro and outro raises the main song into the "hurts my ears" level, and a comfortable level for the main song lowers those into the inaudible. I got used to that bass throb but it did take some getting used to.

I actually really like the synth strings, but then I like synth strings in general. I find it to be well contrasted with, rather than outdone by, the slick synth at 5:18.

Overall a really well-done and entertaining mix.

The intro was absolutely mesmerizing. Loved the soundscape you were going for there as it reminded me of some of Miss Yoko Shimumura's work (listen to Sommom Woods from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team). I'm disappointed that you didn't follow through with that kind of sound, opting for a dance remix instead. I didn't like the rest of the track as it sounded repetitive and overstayed its welcome, but that's just me.

Nice long intro that builds into the progressive beat, but I do have to agree that the volume discrepancy was just a tad to much once you got past the intro, but it wasn't something that a simple turning up and down of the volume couldn't fix. Being that Fear Factory is my favorite DKC1 source, I love how the middle section at 4:48 was handled before the ReMix breaks out of it's bonds for a moment. Overall, a few things that could be nitpicked at, but certainly nothing that broke the ReMix. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

When I at first heard this, I thought "Hey, this is ambient! It can't be DarkSim work!" But the ambient intro is actually very good, being a bit long, though. Then, after a two-minuite intro, it finally breaks out. And it's... Just wow. Pretty impressive. I esecially love when piano returns and blends with cool beats and synths and all that stuff. That synths at 5:18 are just stellar, by the way. Nice work, man!

• 1 year later...

Well-done ambient intro; tension is definitely established. The transitions to the bass and kick feel natural, making the somewhat simple loop entertaining. 4:17 lead is pretty weak. The next section broke my worry of this mix not being intense enough, but I wish it was longer for proportion reasons. Nice outro though.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02804 - Donkey Kong Country "Focus"