OCR02813 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "What We Left Behind"

Liontamer

Very well executed remix to one of Sonic's most underrated tracks. I love the balance between the orchestral and electronica bits as they compliment each other perfectly and do the original a lot of justice. My only critique is the missing "Go" vocal soundbit from the original. I was waiting for it to pop out at some point but sadly it was not to be.

The strings and brass are definitely sample libraries (they have that mic "air" quality, especially with the rich double bass), but even so, the treatment was good enough in the intro/outro, IMO. It added meat to the presentation, and was a great leadin at the beginning to the Big Beat treatment. Vig's right, it's a great snare!

This actually does sound like Sonic to me, so even without extremely overt melodic references, it feels like Sonic. GREAT 10th New Year's Day ReMix! :D

Edited by timaeus222

The ending theme of Sonic 3 is one that I enjoyed for being of the of the few early Sonic endings to not be just a medley of previous stages, making it really feel like an ending. Good to see that spirit and "grand easing finale" feeling represented here. Some production elements are so open, they could be picked over like a vulture picking over Simba if you wanted to, but overall, I think the pros solidly outweigh the cons. Not bad, man.

• 4 months later...
Mastered for loudness, by the sound of things, and poorly done.

A good master would've left more dynamics in to emphasize the deft orchestral usage, instead of brick-wall-limiting the fuck out of everything and leaving a sonic mess of distorted highs.

Sounds fine to me. The orchestral written as it was would have sounded pretty much the same even if the mastering was a smidge quieter. In fact, I don't have substantial complaints about the mastering at all. I can hear the bells at 1:32 clearly, and the arp remained distinct beneath the lead at 2:17. Someone musta dropped the bass too hard on your speakers, bro. :)

Edited by timaeus222

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02813 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "What We Left Behind"