PRC264 - Results - Let it Snow, Let it Snow (Space Station Silicon Valley)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 264

PRCv11-04

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Three songs appeared last round. The round before, Ichitootah returned and this time he managed to win the round. MindWanderer was close but couldn't stop him. Esperado ended on the third position.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Switch_on_the_snow_blower.mid

Space Station Silicon Valley was one of my favorites way back when, and I still <3 the soundtrack.

This chill little track is called Snow Joke.

PRC264.jpg

Source: Space Station Silicon Valley (N64) - Snow Joke

MIDI

Wikipedia

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud. Remember to have a download link to the song, so I can upload the song to ThaSauce.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by MONDAY February 17th 2014 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time: check my signature (below) or the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also post the song in this thread if that doesn't work. Then I'll make sure it works.
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC265..
  7. The winner of PRC264, Ichitootah, cannot take part in this round, however he is free to submit a Bonus Mix.
  8. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC

Edited by Bundeslang

Is there a minimum length for entries? Would, for example, 2 minutes be alright? I am only available from the middle of next week but would still be very interested in joining.

2 Minutes is fine, most songs are around that length. Most songs are between 1-3 minutes.

Good luck:-D:

maek sum mixes bitchezz!

i listened to some of the other tunes from the game, and it seems like a jolly ripoff fest :D

eye of the tiger was just one of several obvious ones.

but i really like the sample selection, and it seems like a unique game.

i read you can smash the speakers in the stages, which causes the BGM to stop playing. that's awesome.

Complete! =D

https://soundcloud.com/jonathan-126/snowing-all-over-the-world

The intention of this remix was to keep the vibe of the song but add some original sections to spice it up. I am not really what genre I would put it in...cheese rock maybe?

This is my first remix ever so every bit of feedback is very much appreciated. I had no idea how to write drums or mix a track before I did this so feedback in those areas is particularly welcome. When I get the time, I intend to extend it with another section with an original melody and probably another one that pulls some instruments out to let it groove. The sloppy guitar / organ work will also be redone :)

Thanks to Ichitootah for suggesting the source, it was so much fun to play around with.

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs. To vote, do the following:

- Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries

- Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.

- Fill in the rank of the entries from first to third/B].

- State a reasoning for it.

- Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, so they should leave the third box empty. They get a free first place bonus if they vote, so it helps them to win the contest. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.

Ichitootah has a vote that counts twice.

You have until THIS Wednesday, February 19th 10:59 am ThaSauce time to vote, check my signature in the first post or simply the ThaSauce page for the exact time you have.

The winner gets the right to choose the source tune for PRC265.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

It's results time.

Total number of mixes - 3

Total number of votes - 2

Maximum Score - 6 (2 votes is not much).

_Jonathan! and skoshu gathered 4 points, delivering them both a last place wooden spoon.

And the winner of PRC264 is Showroom Dummy with 6 points.

Congratulations Showroom Dummy, you have won this round. You may select a source for PRC265. Send your source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix).

You may select any source from any game, as long as it doesn't have an Overclocked Remix and it hasn't been on PRC before. Check it at the list:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Friday, 21 February 2014.

You can find the votes with comments here:

http://compo.thasauce.net/votes/index/PRC264

Thanks to Bundeslang for doing all of the organisation and to Ichitootah for picking the source. This was great fun and I can't wait until the next round =D

And congratulation to Showroom Dummy for the win. Your track was great with lots of really cool synth bits.

Edited by Jonathan!
Clicked submit too early, not enough coffee =D

my bad, thought I had until tonight to vote. Anyway--

Showroom Dummy's had catchy beats, wobbly synths, and sounded anthemic. Solid work!

Skoshu's I would have voted for, very intricate and skillfully made. Good enough for OCR imo.

Jonathan!'s was also great, live guitar and pretty faithful arrangement with some solos and stuff.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to mix one of my favorite little VGMs :)

Edit:

Here are more tracks from SSSV that are worth a listen should you have the time and inclination:

Far Bear Mountain

The Battery Farm

Penguin Playpen

(which I suspect might be one of the ripoffs Nase mentioned, but if so, from where?)

to me it doesn't get better than catchy little swing tunes with an old school vg soundset. woohoo

Edited by Ichitootah

Jonathan: my first remix was a castevania tune in 2004. it was PRC 12 or something :)

Stick with it, good fun to be had.

You can tell! As I said in my vote, the arrangement and production were fantastic.

And thanks for the encouragement :) I intend to enter these competitions whenever I have the time.