(Round 4 Mixing) OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

WillRock

OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

Presented by the OverClocked ReMix forums

The OCR SINGING IDOL Competition is the best singing competition evaaaa. Chimpazilla and I both came up with this idea together, so we'll both be running the competition. It is an individual non-elimination style tournament decided by popular vote. Each week, you will be given a new song (a karaoke cover version made by me or Chimpazilla) to spaz out over, and we expect… memorable performances :P

These are NOT original songs made by me or Chimpy. They are covers of famous songs (not necessarily VGM). However, the final round may be an original track written by me.

CURRENT NEWS:

*ROUND 4 BEGIN*

I Feel Love by Donna Summer

Here is the song on Youtube

Here is the link to the backing track (Key Signature: C Major)

You have till Sunday 1st June 5pm EST to submit your track.

Please check the first post for rules, and do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions! :D

And last but not least - LYRICS:

Ooh it's so good, it's so good

It's so good, it's so good

It's so good

Ooh I'm in love, I'm in love,

I'm in love, I'm in love

I'm in love

Ooh I feel love, I feel love

I feel love, I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

Ooh fall and free, fall and free

Fall and free, fall and free

Fall and free

Ooh you and me, you and me

You and me, you and me

You and me

Ooh I feel love, I feel love

I feel love, I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

I feel love

RULES

There have been a lot of questions about rules so I'm going to try and put everything here.

Structure of compo:

• When Mixing Week begins, you will have 1 week to sing (or rap, scream, meow, w/e) over the selected weeks song. Key Signature and Lyrics will be provided.
  • When the round ends, a public voting period of 1 week will be conducted where each person posts their top 3 performances for the round.
  • There will be 5 songs in all, with an expected run time of 10 weeks.

Mixing Week Rules

• You may use vocal processing and manipulation in your performances. However, keep voting criteria in mind when using them. This is a singing competition, and therefore excessive autotune (to the point of detracting from the performance) is strongly discouraged.
  • Joke entries are allowed. We all want to have a bit of a laugh!
  • You can sing your vocals in any language or any style (Rapping, Whistling etc) Creativity is encouraged.
  • You are encouraged to include vocal harmonies/accompaniment.
  • You may change the lyrics, as long as it doesn't massively affect the vocal melody of the song.
  • You may variate on the melody of the track you're singing if you wish, but don't lose sight of the original source material. Think OCR Level interpretation.
  • You are not allowed to rearrange or edit structure the backing track. However, you are allowed to make production edits to help your vocals fit in the track better if necessary.

Submitting

• Submit with vocals over the backing track.
  • Name your track as follows: Artist Name - Track Name.
  • Your track should be in MP3 format. 160kbps or higher.
  • Send the track to Chimpazilla or me via OCR PM or via link in private (FB-chat/AIM/IRC PM etc). DO NOT POST YOUR TRACK ON THE FORUM. When we receive your track, It will say "submitted" next to your name in the entrant list below. If you have sent in your track and we have not updated the post, let us know

Voting:

Voting is based on a number of aspects.

• Performance quality - Try and keep your vocals in tune and in time.
  • Recording quality - Make sure the vocals are cleanly recorded. Attempt to avoid unwanted buzzing, clipping, unwanted audio noises etc.
  • Concept - Make sure the vocals suit the song. Make sure you have some creativity in your vocals, and If the vocals are processed, make sure they do not detract from the vocal performance quality.
  • Enjoyability - Obviously, you should ENJOY it :P
    You may vote for yourself if you wish to.

Since this is a non-elimination contest, I want everyone to have a go - even if you'll do terrible (even if its intentionally - we could all use a good laugh! :D)

So… PRIZES! The winner of the competition will get 2 prizes!

1: I will create a remix of your choosing! Just give me a source and i'll remix it for ya!

2: I will get your favourite track of the 5 in the competition licensed and sell the track as a single, where you will receive 30% of the profit! You may of course re-record your vocals for the track if you wish, and I will require a dry WAV of your performance as well.

Lastly, I will be most likely looking for a vocalist to do some music with on a more permanent basis, so even if you don't win, I may still contact you for more (paid) work regardless!

I will announce the first track when the round starts, so keep watching this space for more details coming soon!!!

Any Questions, do not hesitate to contact myself or Chimpazilla with any concerns!

So… Go out there and WIN WIN WIN. Oh and have fun too I guess :P

Current Total Score Tally:

anterroir - 62

Brandon Strader - 49

Rexy - 35

CN - 21

Trism - 18

Amayirot Akago - 10

BrothaDom - 6

Xarnax42 - 3

Anorax - 2

MindWanderer - 1

Cyril - 0

Evktalo - 0

theshaggyfreak - 0

Palpable - 0

TeraCMusic - 0

ProjectSpam - 0

Tuberz Mcgee - 0

JaMonz - 0

Nase - 0

Jason Covenant - 0

Edited by WillRock

I believe this has nothing to do with the OCR Idol Competition some years ago:

OCR IDOL

We Told Our Psychiatrist We're Sick. He Told Us To Piss Off.

"Only remixers which didn’t have a song posted on Ocremix where allowed to participate. Every round they got a theme to remix and after that voting started. Every time the remixer with the most votes lost (users must vote for the song they liked the less). In the first rounds three remixers lost. In the first round many remixers entered, but after that only six of them entered the second round, the others lost by default. At the ending, Hemophiliac won the OCR Idol by beating EonBlue in a thrilling final."

So it might be better to use a different name, to avoid confusion.

Sweet idea :)

Out of curiosity, what are the rules regarding vocal production & manipulation? (i.e. autotuning, vocoding)

I believe Will will say you can do as you like and just have fun with it. Keep in mind, he is actually looking for vocalists to work with on real projects going forward. Anyone interested in working with Will on future projects as a singer might want to keep their performances as real and unprocessed as possible (meaning well-mixed and gently effected, but not over-processed). The "popular vote" winner may end up being different from who he reaches out to as potential singing collaborators.

Whatever happens though, it is meant to be FUN! I personally can't sing, but maybe I can record my cat... :razz:

I believe this has nothing to do with the OCR Idol Competition some years ago:

OCR IDOL

We Told Our Psychiatrist We're Sick. He Told Us To Piss Off.

"Only remixers which didn’t have a song posted on Ocremix where allowed to participate. Every round they got a theme to remix and after that voting started. Every time the remixer with the most votes lost (users must vote for the song they liked the less). In the first rounds three remixers lost. In the first round many remixers entered, but after that only six of them entered the second round, the others lost by default. At the ending, Hemophiliac won the OCR Idol by beating EonBlue in a thrilling final."

So it might be better to use a different name, to avoid confusion.

Ah, did not know about that. I doubt it would be an issue but changed name of compo to avoid confusion, thanks for the heads up :)

Hell, I may even do this. You accept joke entries, right? Because if it involves me singing, it's very likely a joke.

(yes i saw that you do but i still had to get a little self-deprecation in there)

Anything goes. Will is looking for real singers, but who knows what may come of this? Put your thinking cap on and come up with something unique and cool.

hahaha NO WAY! This is awesome. I was actually JUST thinking about something like this a couple weeks ago. I don't know if you guys remember (or were around back when) zircon and Jill did the VOCR Vocal Remix Competitions, but this sounds exactly like them. I remember them being a ton of fun back then, so it's awesome to see something like this make a return!! I can't do vocals (like at all), but count me in as following the compo for sure! :)

I'm interested in taking a stab at this. I can sing live decently well, but singing into a recording is something else entirely. And vocal production isn't a skill I've picked up at all. Also I'll be using the USB mic that came with Rock Band (although if someone can suggest a mic <= $10 that would be way better, I'm all ears). So, my apologies in advance.

Some technical questions:

Do these come with lyrics or do we have to write our own? If they come with them, will there be a full version with vocals that we can use to learn the part?

Do we submit just the vocals, or the whole thing put together?