(Round 4 Mixing) OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

WillRock

What are your thoughts on rearranging the karaoke track a bit if it fits the idea? I'm thinking it could only improve the fun factor to hear it a little chopped up in some entries.

Just read brothadom's post, and this goes for rap more than anything else.

Hmm... I think its easier to just say no because too many possibilities open up if I say yes, plus, this is a singing competition, not an arrangement competition. Also, I don't want the arrangement to distract from the singing itself.

Do these come with lyrics or do we have to write our own? If they come with them, will there be a full version with vocals that we can use to learn the part?

Do we submit just the vocals, or the whole thing put together?

They will come with lyrics. I will be posting a link to the original track in the first post, and have lyrics below it as well. That said, I am considering throwing in a japanese anime track or something to see you all SHIT YOURSELVES hahaha.

All the karoke versions i'm making are direct covers of the original songs, so you can just go on youtube if you need some sort of cue. By all means experiment with the melody if you want tho - Attempting to recreate a melody you're not that familiar with encourages natural variation (works for anything, not just singing)

I'm in. For better or worse, most likely worse.

One more question: Can we add vocal accompaniment? I.e. can we harmonize, scat, beatbox, etc. with ourselves? Technically speaking, "vocal processing" could mean autotuning yourself on a 50% wet signal.

any flat out restrictions on that wouldn't be fun at all. any sounds you can make with your mouth should be fair game, and the number of recording instances shouldn't matter.

don't wanna sound like i run this lol but it seems common sense.

if you do just whistling or just beatboxing, that's a bit of a different story.

I'm in. For better or worse, most likely worse.

One more question: Can we add vocal accompaniment? I.e. can we harmonize, scat, beatbox, etc. with ourselves? Technically speaking, "vocal processing" could mean autotuning yourself on a 50% wet signal.

Yes you can add vocal accompaniment. Also, question seems fair enough to me. I never stated if you could record multiple layered harmonies. I'd actually encourage it, particularly since many of the originals have harmonising vocals.

Edited by WillRock

I'll sign up in the "just for fun" division too. (: I had a random thought about vocal range - it'd be cool if there were several backing tracks in different keys available, but that is probably unfeasible. Perhaps something to consider from track to track though?

--Eino

I dunno if it's needed, but if it's a midi track then doing a version transposed by a tritone might not be that much work.

I'll sign up in the "just for fun" division too. (: I had a random thought about vocal range - it'd be cool if there were several backing tracks in different keys available, but that is probably unfeasible. Perhaps something to consider from track to track though?

--Eino

Its not very practical because many of the backing tracks i'm making have recorded guitar in them. Unless you want it to sound weird, they'll be in the keys of the originals.

Yep yep, I'll sign up.

Again, is rapping going to be a real possibility? I don't want to waste someone's spot or anything like that

You're not wasting a spot, there is no limit on entrants. And yes, you can rap. You can pretty much do whatever you like :)

Edited by WillRock

After talking to Jason Covenant, it has become apparent that there may be some minor confusion.

The contest is covers of famous songs. Not my original works.

Sorry if anyone got the wrong idea, but when I said Karaoke cover versions, I meant it.

THAT SAID - I am strongly considering making the last track an original work. It might even require you to write some lyrics!

So... I think its time to unveil the first track everyone will be covering, to produce some hype...

The first song will be:

Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

I will link the backing track when the first mixing week starts.

DO NOT BEGIN MIXING YET.

This is still the signing on period. I will post the track in the first post with lyrics when the mixing week begins.

Edited by WillRock