(Round 4 Mixing) OCR SINGING IDOL!!!!! The OCR Singing Competition

WillRock

VOTING!

First of all - Join the Social Group here

Each round consists of 1 week where the best submissions are decided by popular vote.

There will be a thread in the Social Group for each round, where you can post your votes. DO NOT VOTE IN THIS THREAD.

You must post your 3 favourite artists in order like so:

1: Mojo Jojo

2: Him

3: Fuzzy Lumpkins

You may leave comments under your 3 votes but KEEP THEM SEPARATE.

1st place votes will get 3 points, 2nd place 2 points, and 3rd place 1 point.

Whoever gets the most votes wins the round, and your scores will tally over to the next round. That way, the person who does the most consistantly good entries will win the compo and the fabulous prizes within.

Edited by WillRock

Reviews and comments here, to not clutter up the voting thread overmuch:

• Amayirot: Well, it's more intoning than singing, and it's nothing fancy, but what it is is done well.
  • anterroir: Um... not really my thing. I have a feeling nothing constructive I would have to say would get to the point.
  • Brandon: The production and arrangement king, hands down. This is what I aspire to in that department. But you really need to learn to sing from the diaphragm and project. Your voice sounds very nasally and compressed.
  • CN: Oddly precise and mechanical metering combined with expressive intonation and fills. Good production quality, and the "whoas" worked really well.
  • Me: I really need to remember to listen to my stuff on more than one pair of headphones. At home, the harmony lines cut through very distinctly, but they're totally muddied on the cheap headphones I'm using now. My timing was a little off, too. It's a shame--the original chorus is done in a monotone in the dead center of my range, so I was able to sing it in octaves. You just can't hear it....
  • Trism: Another chant, which is odd because you clearly have a powerful singing voice. Will's part is too loud in this mix.
  • Xarnax: Not sure what happened to the volume here, it came out really quiet. Good harmony. A bit nasal, you usually manage to sing more from the gut.

Reviews and comments here, to not clutter up the voting thread overmuch:

ok

they're totally muddied on the cheap headphones I'm using now.

ok

Your voice sounds very nasally and compressed.

ok

A bit nasal

ok

I'm just kidding around with you mate. I'd just say if you are going to review other peoples' work, don't cop to using cheap headphones that don't even represent your own mix properly, at the same time. Not a big deal at all it's just... odd. :-)

I'm just kidding around with you mate. I'd just say if you are going to review other peoples' work, don't cop to using cheap headphones that don't even represent your own mix properly, at the same time. Not a big deal at all it's just... odd. :-)
I was trying to do the reverse, actually. In the wide, wide world, most people are listening to music on crap headphones, speakers, etc. So it's critical to listen to your own mixes on crap headphones before submitting, which I neglected to do. If your mix doesn't sound good on cheap headphones, then your good ones may be doing you more harm than good.

In other words, I believe that cheap headphones always represent mixes "properly."

Can MOAR people vote? There's only a few days left I think. There's more people signed up for this than have voted :cry:

What 20 people signed on and 8 votes? :3

At least there are more votes than entries, but yeah, both are pretty sad. A 65% dropout rate in the first round is the highest I've seen of any compo here. Not sure if people just weren't excited about the song in particular or if people really won't listen to anything but VGM around here?

I guess we'll find out next week. I've been watching some vocal mixing technique videos, so hopefully I can get something a little more respectable in next time. Still hoping for some constructive criticism!

Eh maybe people were busy or they forgot or they remembered how annoying Safety Dance is. I just hope they come through for Act 2. :-o

As for mixing da vocals it wouldn't even be bad to just slap dry vocals on top, peeps need to avoid using too much reverb and recording too far away and picking up cruddy room sound. Not POINTING FINGERS at anyone just saying in general, that's some good stuff to be weary of. I think in the end that's why I dug my #1 vote so much, I liked the range, and the treatment of the vokills