Evoland ' Final Boss ' (Rock / Metal)

Armhan

I enjoyed elements of this piece, especially the very Symphony X sections (0:42-0:52) for example. I think in general though your rhythm sounds are buried (were they double tracked?). The piece also suffers from repetition so were it me I would try and change the overall instrumentation to make it more engaging as a whole. Lastly, the ending is quite abrupt.

I would definitely look forward to a reworked version.

Thank you for the comment :)

About the repetition: the original piece is less than 1 min long looping forever, I tried to change things here and there (drums, harmonization...) and adding a very simple solo etc.

Usually for my own arrangements/music I add bridges/interludes and more complex solo sections. This was a request from a friend who wanted to ear a metal version of the piece, and since I really liked the game and the soundtrack I quickly did this short arrangement... anyway yes, it could be expanded more.

Rhythm guitars are double tracked, yes. What do you mean when you say "buried"?

Edited by Armhan

I understand, it's tough when the loops are so short. I used to find it really frustrating, but now I try and use it as an opportunity to be creative. Perhaps try taking the loop and make distinctive sections that share theme's but have their own personality.

Regarding the rhythm guitars being buried, if you double tracked them then the issue should just lie in the mix. With this style the rhythm should have a bite to it and it seems to be getting pushed down by the bass.

ah ok, now I understand

I usually use two different setups for rhythm guitars, a "cutting" incisive one I use for more metal pieces with riffs etc, and the second one which is more "cremy" - hardrock-ish... I choose the second one because this piece has just power chords and a normal palm-muting rhythmic.

Also I'm not used to put keyboards on rhythm guitars, but this time I did... listening to the track without keyboards, guitars are clearer... maybe some eq can help

PS. I'm a big Symphony X fan :D

I am a HUGE SX fan :)

I might be inclined to add in a touch of the cutting rhythm, or at least double your existing track and boost the treble. If you listen to something like Accolade or Rediscovery Part II, you can hear how the guitars cut through the mix and snap with the snare/kick. It requires a deft mix but when you get it right it really brings it to life.

I'll work on that, thanks for the comments and tips :)

(rediscovery is one of my fav of their more progressive pieces together with edge of forever, communion and the oracle, through the looking glass and candlelight fantasia!)