OCR02860 - Chrono Trigger 'Crow Note Rigger'

djpretzel

i like this a lot. and it just shows how crisp production and a good arrangement are really much more important than all the $1000 synthesizers and mics you have.

good show!

edit: i say that by the way cause it shows that if you really push to get the most out of what you already have, it can turn into something incredible. this song is a great example of that.

This is darn awesome, especially that writing at the end. Goodness. I'm glad it got posted with the sound limitations as well. It does sound great and it's cool to see such, for lack of a better phrase, lo-fi sounds making it on OCR. There's hope for a chiptune mix yet. Any of my perceived "roughness" to this mix is part of its charm and does not detract from it for me. :nicework:

The production is pretty good in many regards actually, nice stereo separation for instance. The bass and percussion sound good - mechanical, but not in a detracting way. There's a lot of nice synth touches as well. I'm reminded of earlier Shnabubula tracks, I'm a huge fan of those.

On the side of criticisms, I'd have liked a tiny bit of an intro. The main lead sound during the first half is pretty weak to me, it's limp and loose, I'm not much of a fan. There are also some strange harmonies on some of the synth washes that I'm not also completely sure sound 100% good. The e-piano solo is quite ace though. I also think I'll have to get me a M01 as well. :tomatoface:

--Eino

I'm actually impressed that this was made on a DS program. With the software samples I've heard on similar products, that sounds pretty tough because of certain limits, but you were able to do it and create something great in the style of stylistic jazz that comes off like a cheesy cop show (totally a good thing) and neat to hear. Hats off to you for proving once again that it's all about what you do with your tools, not the tools themselves. Damn good work, man.