SUPPORT OCR!! Get OCR to the next level through PATREON!!

Liontamer

After a break in 2013, it's once again time for SUPPORT OCR MONTH! Or should we say "Monthly"? :-)

This year isn't fundamentally different from past fundraisers donating though PayPal, but for 2014 and beyond, we're also adding in steady support through Patreon!

OC ReMix has worked to showcase video game music as an art form since 1999. With nearly 3,000 OC ReMixes and 50 community albums released so far, we plan on keeping the FREE music coming for years & years to come!

Now we're asking for YOUR help to take OCR to the next level (and then some) for several much-needed goals, including:

• RELEASING WAY MORE MUSIC!! We'll be expanding our workshop area to instantly integrate ALL arrangements posted on our forums into the site's searchable database! We want to offer the best of both worlds to artists AND listeners - a curated selection of approved/featured mixes AND a massive database of works-in-progress, submissions, and more!
  • Upgrading our forums to offer more features for visitors and artists alike, including blogs and on-site file hosting!
  • Developing a mobile app, making higher-quality videos, and holding more live performances & convention appearances to spread the VGM love!
  • Hosting LOSSLESS ReMixes, retagging all past albums, and sharing all OC ReMixes on SoundCloud!
  • Pursuing legal assistance to file for 501c3 status and become an OFFICIAL non-profit organization dedicated to the recognition of VGM!
  • FURTHER INCREASING THE AWESOME! Help keep us going, ensuring a steady flow of funding to pursue additional site improvements!!

We want to keep things simple with $1 and $5 pledge levels, because it's not about high dollar amounts, it's about community and simply chipping in a LITTLE to help OCR improve a LOT!

If you're able to pledge more, you rock! Those who pledge $5 a month or above will not only get exclusive Patreon backer updates, they also score a FREE ALBUM EVERY MONTH from our sister site OverClocked Records, meaning you get even more great music, including game soundtracks and original works by community artists!

We've also include the GAME MUSIC SUPERFAN tier at $100 a month - if you can swing that, you can be an OFFICIAL OCR SPONSOR. We'll promote your site, enter you in a drawing for random swag and prizes, and be at the ready to answer your questions about OCR, because that's an unreal level of support!

Please consider backing us! If every listener pledged $1 a month, we'd be golden. Whatever pledge you can manage will help us at OC ReMix marshal the time, resources, and manpower to tackle some long-awaited projects and initiatives!

Thank you to everyone for your support, and we're happy to answer any questions on this thread!

Edited by Liontamer

I have an FAQ space at the ready!

Q: What will the money be used for?

A: Additional funds will help OCR by covering our improvement costs, as well as bandwidth, hosting, promotional, and other administrative costs. There's no profit motive.

Q: Didn't you make a gazillion dollars on the FF6 Kickstarter?

A: No, international shipping kicked us in the butt (we didn't charge extra for it), plus our arrangement with Squenix had non-profit restrictions, which was fine since we never had a profit motive.

Q: Is OCR going to shut down without the funding?

A: No, don't worry, we're NOT in dire financial straits, we're just looking for help to make these additional features a reality. OCR is a labor of love!

Q: You're not artists, you're just a platform for artists!

A: That's not a question! :lol: We've been working our tails off on this platform for 14 years and we want to make the world a better place through VGM. In the future, we will be linking/promoting individual artist Patreon accounts from artist profile pages, where applicable, FYI.

Q: Will the music continue to be free to download?

A: Of course!

Q: Can I have one big ZIP file with all the ReMixes?

A: :/

Edited by Liontamer

As someone who generally doesn't do Paterons because of an irrational fear of monthly payments, I immediately chipped in anyway. Friggin OCR how could I not. This is really an excellent idea, I'm glad to be able to support you guys in such an easy awesome way.

I'll be spreading the word about this, but you probably won't need it - if this turns out anything like the Kickstarter(s) you guys are gonna be GOLDEN.

Anyway thank you for this opportunity and thanks for existing and bye :)

The patron bonuses don't thrill me, but it's been a while since I bought a T-shirt.

Do you guys get to take home more if we donate through PayPal or through Patreon?

Is the workshop hosting and indexing a target feature for the next 12 months, then? That's a big deal for you, it'll really help with the competition from YouTube and SoundCloud, and the slow-and-tight judging process being a bottleneck.

Quick question - does patreon email out the code to use for the record site or does ocr have some sort of system that keeps track of everyone who pays $5 and automatically send out the code? Curious if this is a manual or automated process and by which party (patreon or ocr)?

I'd so soo soo much throws tons of money @ you for a FF9 kickstarter but I have trouble with Patreon... We will see if I chip in later on tho. I love so much your remixes!!!

Cheers

EDIT: Just chipped in. Looking forward to the NEXT OCRemix!

Edited by paxl13

AWESOME SUPPORT, EVERYONE!!

We're already acting on the results of our Patreon campaign & have started uploading albums to our shiny new SoundCloud PRO account:

MUCH more to come, obviously, but it's great to be able to show immediate progress based on YOUR Patreon support!!

Quick question - does patreon email out the code to use for the record site or does ocr have some sort of system that keeps track of everyone who pays $5 and automatically send out the code? Curious if this is a manual or automated process and by which party (patreon or ocr)?

I have the exact same question in mind.

Plus: Will the promotion codes have an expiry date? e.g. Will I have to use it within the month?

• 4 weeks later...
I have the exact same question in mind.

Plus: Will the promotion codes have an expiry date? e.g. Will I have to use it within the month?

Yes & yes, codes just sent, use 'em & get some great music!!

Jamming to the Patreon-only OCR previews from this morning's email. All you non-backers have some great music to look forward to!

:) We definitely wanna throw backers some nice bonuses - this is the first of many to come!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...