Coursera Music theory course (with university of edunburg)

I signed up for it too! what a coincidence :) Should be a good one. theres a music production class too!

https://class.coursera.org/musicproduction-005

might be useless info depending on your level of skill, but its worth a look, i learned a few technical things from it last time around.

Was the Production class really useful? It seems like the technical stuff is pretty basic, but how you use it might be good. I don't really have 6 hours a week to sink into it, though.

Was the Production class really useful? It seems like the technical stuff is pretty basic, but how you use it might be good. I don't really have 6 hours a week to sink into it, though.

For you it might not be too helpful since you seem to have been doing this a while. The main section that was most useful to me was the Effects segment of the course. They do a good job of explaining what each basic effect does to an audio signal. Otherwise, its best for a beginner looking to get a well rounded look at basic production concepts.

they should just post their videos on youtube,

their certificate is a joke anyway and it can get boring very fast

There are really only two selling points to a MOOC: the institution providing the class and the community enrolled in the classes, some of my courses have been made by the quality of forum discussions, and I've even made friends with people off Coursera. That experience wouldn't exist by simply posting youtube vids. Though to be fair, not every class has that level of discussion, and this course seems to mostly be people complaining about how hard music theory is to understand (I totally understand their pain, it's just that contributes nothing to the class discussion).

And yeah, certificates are a joke, but there are people who are easily impressed by that. I will say though, I imagine that for classes that teach really technical skills maybe it's a decent start to showing potential employers any skill sets you may have (or are trying to acquire)