MnP 20: Kirby's Dream Land 3 - Ripple Field 3

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 20: Kirby's Dreamland 3 - Ripplefield 3

250px-Kdl3.png

I choose... Ripple Field 3 from Kirby's Dreamland 3! Always thought it was a pretty groovy track.

-Blaine

Midi

Starts: 27/07/2014

Ends: 11/08/2014 2pm Monday

Vote Ends: 14/08/2014 2pm Thursday

Submit your remix Here when completed.

**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact Ramaniscence via pm**

MISSION STATEMENT

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. A modicum of originality is recommended, but not required.

All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct *

MnP Instructions

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.

2. As long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and around 75% of the notation, you'll be golden. If you're going to change the genre up completely, be sure to keep the previous statement in mind. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell. Please refer to the example tracks at the bottom to get a feel for what I mean. Or better yet, check out the submissions of previous rounds.

3. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).

4. Only 1 entry per participant.

5. Previous winner cannot participate, but can submit a bonus, as well as have a vote that counts 2x

6. Submission must be made specifically for this competition, otherwise it will have to be a bonus track. Taking an old idea of yours and heavily revising it is permissible.

Example Tracks:

FF7_SonOfChaos,

SMW_Monstrous_Turtles,

Hitman_Contract_Cleaner,

MISC/TIPS

- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.

- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

- Certain sad or moody source tunes don't have drums or percussion for a reason. So keeping it that way may be the easiest way to retain much of the original feel, such as

and
Edited by HoboKa

The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes.

Can you give a general guideline as to what "conservative approach" implies? I was working on this nice Kirby track, but things got a bit out of hand when creativity struck. It's definately still recognizable but also went a bit beyond a normal sound upgrade. Is that gonna be a problem?

Can you give a general guideline as to what "conservative approach" implies? I was working on this nice Kirby track, but things got a bit out of hand when creativity struck. It's definately still recognizable but also went a bit beyond a normal sound upgrade. Is that gonna be a problem?

It's stated in rule 2 in the guidelines, which I now realize is both vague and confusing lol. Here's the revision.

Thanks for pointing it out Jorito :)!!

Rule 2.

As long as you can still capture the source tune's mood and around 75% of the notation, you'll be golden. If you're going to change the genre up completely, be sure to keep the previous statement in mind. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell. Please refer to the example tracks at the bottom to get a feel for what I mean. Or better yet, check out the submissions of previous rounds.

If as you say "its still recognizable", I dont think you should have any problem

True to a degree. I think that Nase's stuff is probably the best example for how FAR you can push the boundaries in MnP without me complaining haha. Super Metroid: Upper Maridia for example.

Edited by HoboKa

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm in the clear now as i didn't do any genre swapping and the 75% notation is also definately there. Guess I was caught off guard by the midi (I didn't use it but transcribed by ear) and the sound upgrade statement :)

Np Jorito Davito...sorry it rhymed. Bad habit of mine :lmassoff:

Looking forward to hearing it when it's time to vote!

**Vote stage begins at 2PM Monday - just don't have time to put it down tomorrow as I start work at 2 =p

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• Blaine has a vote that's worth 2x
  • There are 4 contestants this round. Assuming Jovito submits his track before 2PM Monday :P
  • IF THERE ARE 4 TRACKS, Participants and otherwise do not need to leave any spots open 'cuz we have enough entries !! Woot!
  • Do not vote for any bonus tracks. If there are any.
  • There is a first-place voter bonus this round - so everyone make sure you vote to cash in on it. If you don't have an activated account at ThaSauce, then pm me your vote and I'll do the rest.

**Remember: participants may not vote for themselves**

Vote ends August 13th(Wednesday)at 8PM

**Vote stage begins at 2PM Monday - just don't have time to put it down tomorrow as I start work at 2 =p

Edited by HoboKa

If anyone is not sure about the deadline, you can check the ThaSauce page. That page shows how much time is left:

Currently (a few minutes ago), the following information is given.

Start: 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Deadline: 1 hour, 56 minutes

Voting Ends: 2 days, 7 hours

Which means there is now a little less than 2 hours left for submissions.