OCR03058 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'The Goddess Gets Groovy Tonight'

Chimpazilla

ReMixer name: G-Mixer, Sir Jordanius

Website: http://facebook.com/GarrettWilliamsonMusic / http://www.youtube.com/SirJordanius (but you’ve already got all his info because he’s already a known ReMixer on the site)

UserID: 39845

Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Name of arrangement: “The Goddess Gets Groovy Tonight”

Name of song arranged: “The Goddess Appears”

Comments:

I told Jordan I would either make no comments or speak for hours about this track. I decided the latter.

Basically, I started working on this track a good year and a half ago. It was first inspired by “Chamber of the Goddess” by Disasterpeace from the Zelda 25th Anniversary ReMix Album done back in 2011. I really enjoyed the chill 70’s vibe it had going on and there was just this soft funk to it that I really loved. Now, “The Goddess Appears”, which ends up being a reoccurring theme in the Zelda series, is easily of my top 3 favorite Zelda compositions in the series. Something about its simple yet so complex arrangement and the magic that I hear when I play it just makes me love it so much. And I’m a guy who is obsessed with the more punchy and funkier sounds. Therefore, I decided I would do my own funky take on the track and make the song a mix of funk and pretty harps and glockenspiels.

I submitted the track more than a year ago, but honestly something about it felt a bit unfinished. I wasn’t sure, but it just didn’t feel totally finished. Of course, I’m so ridiculously used to liking something and then sending it off and then freaking out noticing something I wish I had fixed. That’s how it goes. But there was just honestly stuff missing. And when I got an email back months later being informed that it didn’t even get to the judges, I decided to do a huge makeover on the song.

But even then the track didn’t feel entirely finished when I entirely updated it and made it sound way better. I was still missing some of that funk. And that’s when Sir Jordanius comes in. And honestly, as much as you could call this my arrangement or my ReMix in general, there is absolutely no way this mix would’ve been so absolutely freaking amazing if Jordanius didn’t step in to give me his utterly sexy vocoder skills, funky guitar sounds, enjoyable occasional vocals, and absolutely beautiful horns. This mix would just sound bare and unfinished without the absolute beauty that Sir Jordanius gave it. So ginormous thanks to Mr. Jordanius for making this ReMix freaking beast.

So now, far more than a year later, I’m just hoping this remix will at least make it to the judges. ;)

--Garrett Williamson--

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, really liking what you guys have brought here. Starts a bit conservative, focusing on adding elements on top of the repeating goddess motif. As time goes on, however, things are expanded further with some offbeat notes and a ton of variation.

My biggest gripe is the balance on the track. I think I could pick out who did what based on how they landed within the soundfield (to be fair, though, I've worked with both artists on the sm64 project and know both of their styles relatively well). Here are some examples:

:21 bass sounds more distant than upfront harp pattern

:33 brass sounds a bit thin and again, behind the more prominent pattern

2:57 lead synth is too loud above everything (this is the biggest issue IMO, but fortunately it only plays briefly)

There's tons to love here. Jordan's vocal & brass additions are fantastic. Both artists' arrangement work here is exceptionally good.

Love it.

YES

• 1 month later...

I remember the very first iteration of this track in the wip forum. Wow, it really came a long way. Groovy indeed, Jordan's additions really work here! The harp and pizz strings end up sounding pretty mechanical against his live work, but it's ok. Justin is right about that lead synth being too loud, the overall balance work could have used one more going-over. Nitpicks.

YES