Sonic 2 - Mystic Cave Zone (Electro House Remix)

wch090

Pretty sweet mix. I feel like there could be a bit more effects or something in the buildup, because I feel right now it's too similar to the breakdown and so it's slightly anti-climactic. Not sure what I'm thinking, but the buildups just feel a tad bit under-exaggerated, if that makes any sense.

Really cool track other than that.

I'm not exactly sure what G-Mixer means, but if I understand him correctly, then I think he's saying something along the lines of this. First, the 1 , 3 , rhythm at 1:01 is fine. As the beat progresses with the riser, at 1:10, I'd probably apply a simple closed hi-hat with a bit of a rhythm. Or I suppose it counting 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & is fine, too. Maybe throw a 16th note somewhere in between to give it a bit of a change. At 1:16, maybe a clap/snare or an open hi-hat counting every second of an 8th note. You know, the typical trance beat, though this isn't trance. Still, give it a try and see what happens.

Or you can add some weird FX sounds. Thip sounds for example, or something that gives it some variation. You could probably make one of these thip sounds with a separate kick by reducing the fade out, lowering the pogo effect, raising the pitch to max on the time stretch, and then go into the piano roll and go an octave up from C5. If you're not using FL Studio, then there is probably a different way of doing this. Maybe some impulses. I don't know. If you like the drum pattern the way it is, you should at least put something behind it so it doesn't sound like it's missing something. Totally up to you, though.

Sounds too texturally simple IMO until the wobble basses come in. Might be because the odd-harmonic lead is too loud. When the dubstep basses do come in, they kind of bury the lead sometimes (could do midrange scooping in the EQ), and the resonant quarter notes can get repetitive for some people (such as me). Also, the mix sounds pretty pushed in terms of loudness. It's about 50% louder than I would suggest it to be, and the kick drum isn't really punching through. The mixing is a bit abrasive overall.

Pretty sweet mix. I feel like there could be a bit more effects or something in the buildup, because I feel right now it's too similar to the breakdown and so it's slightly anti-climactic. Not sure what I'm thinking, but the buildups just feel a tad bit under-exaggerated, if that makes any sense.

Really cool track other than that.

I also agree with Garrett that the buildups, or at least the first one, needed more. The first one just made me say, "when is this buildup going to be over? Hurry up, get to the next section." If you want a buildup that long, yeah, it's going to need more textural development throughout those 30 seconds. Maybe add some background risers, add some half note triplet snares, and just fill it out in general. By the time it gets to the main electro house sections, the buildups lose their momentum.

---

The breakdown section was nice to have, but it almost feels neglected to me because the textures didn't really change; you just high passed some things and left out the heavy artillery. 3:27 almost sounds like a dubstep section, but then it switches back to electro house that quickly? Dunno why, because it actually helped break up the dynamics and lessen the repetition. Also, it's a small thing, but I think the drum rhythm in that part was somehow a little too swung, and it kind of sounds more sloppy than intentional, IMO.

Overall, this can be in a good place if you fill in the spots where it's texturally sparse (including the buildups), vary the bass writing, tone down the uppermost treble a bit, and really embrace that breakdown section and do more with it. It's a pretty heavy genre, so it would help to add a lighter contrasting section than the one you have now to go easier on the ears, instead of being aggressive almost the whole time.

Edited by timaeus222

Seems like most of the issues are still there. The lead is still too loud whenever the wobbles aren't playing. The mixing is still a little too loud, but it's better than before. The bass hook from the source is still being used all throughout, and that's literally almost the only thing that I hear from the source tune. There's at least two more melodies you can use. Nothing wrong with not using them, but it would be a nice way to introduce variation into the arrangement. It's definitely too melodically repetitive, if you just look at the notes by themselves and ignore the structure.

The breakdown section being longer was good, and I'm glad you chose to extend that. The piano is a little mechanical, but in this context it's not a huge deal.

Lastly, the dubstep section feels longer, but the switch back to electro house is rather sudden; it just happens without a transition.

So overall:

- it can use either more melodic liberties on what you are already using, or other parts of the source can be added in. <----- Most important problem here.

- the main lead is too loud when it's playing without wobbles in the background <----- third priority IMO

- maybe humanize the piano velocities and add slight rhythmic errors <----- minor

- can have less of a stream-of-consciousness feel to the arrangement <----- second priority IMO

Edited by timaeus222