Mixing and Mastering 24 bit samples

On a limb I upgraded to EWQL Platnium Plus last year, but I've held off on producing anything with 24 bit samples because when I do everything is supremely wet and heavy. No amount of mixing down (with my current ability) has gotten that to change.When I work with 16 bit samples it's just been a matter of me panning, playing with volume and delay, but I guess 24 bit samples require better handling? Do any of you work with 24 bit samples?

From what I've used, 24-bit and 16-bit samples are so negligibly different in quality that I would rather use the 16-bit samples just to conserve physical memory. If your 24-bit samples are actually noticeably different from your 16-bit counterparts, there's something inconsistent. I can't tell the difference between my 24-bit samples I have in LASS compared to the 16-bit samples... at all.

From what I've used, 24-bit and 16-bit samples are so negligibly different in quality that I would rather use the 16-bit samples just to conserve physical memory. If your 24-bit samples are actually noticeably different from your 16-bit counterparts, there's something inconsistent. I can't tell the difference between my 24-bit samples I have in LASS compared to the 16-bit samples... at all.

I don't know if it's just me, but brass sounds significantly better. Strings are negligible, but plucked basses sound a bit fuller.

Can you post an example of the sound you're getting with the 24-bit samples vs. the 16-bit? I, too, would not expect a big enough difference that you would have to change your approach to mixing, so there could be something going on with the DAW and/or sampler.

Shot in the dark here -- you upgraded EWQLSO from Gold, right? Gold includes only one mic perspective, whereas Platinum, in addition to being 24-bit, has three mic perspectives. It's possible that the increased wetness/heaviness you're hearing comes from the extra two mic positions (which can be toggled in PLAY).

When I switched from recording in 16 to 24, it definitely sounded different. However, it can be pretty tricky hearing any differences between 16 and 24 generally, so I donno what your problem is. I don't think it's that dramatic of a difference. I always record in 24 and later on once I finish the master, I export it as 16. It's 24, 44.1 the entire time until the master is completely finished.

I don't know if it's just me, but brass sounds significantly better. Strings are negligible, but plucked basses sound a bit fuller.

Moseph is probably correct, the sound difference you hear is the extra mic positions. You have to compare apples to apples. 24-bit samples are for people who think they add some extra fairy dust or something, there's no way they by themselves are doing what you think.

the main benefit of 24 bit is headroom. if you want more precision and dynamics in your recording/mixing/mastering, it's the way to go, even if your end product is going to be converted down to 16 bit. if you have proper monitoring equipment I think you can notice a considerable difference. especially if you snort some fairy dust first :twisted:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun08/articles/qa0608_2.htm

Working in 24bit resolution and using 24bit samples are two different things. You will get a massive and noticeable improvement when switching from 16bit to 24bit depth, but in terms of 16bit vs 24bit samples you will not hear much of a difference at all unless you're in a very well tuned and very expensive studio.

+1

Exactly, recording in 24-bit vs. 16-bit might sound noticeably different, because some instruments just need that extra bit of detail to capture the little nuances.

http://embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php

^ There's a note there that says:

We suggest the 16-bit version. Not only will it save you a lot of RAM, but also the difference in quality is negligible AT BEST!

For those who strongly want those 24-bit samples, we've adjusted the price to recoup the extra bandwidth costs. Thank you for understanding!

Edited by timaeus222