OCR02963 - Chrono Trigger 'Kingdom of Magic'

djpretzel

Well... I hear the melodic variations going on, and good on ya for that. It's hard to change something that already had a good melodic contour to it. I would have liked more pads to fill things out in a few places, and perhaps some more varied bell patches to keep things changing. The synth brass is so cheeze. :grin: It wasn't something I would :-x ya on, but I guess something more legato could have helped. I liked this more when I got to 1:58, but I also wish 3:21 came much earlier and was twice as long; that was my favorite part. :)

Edited by timaeus222

This remix is a really enjoyable take on the source - one that I've loved for many years - and somehow, I feel like it's subtle, easy modifications of the original make this MORE enjoyable than some wild take that is different just for the sake of being different. You can tell that this piece was thought of and handled with care. Truly pleasant and heartening. The abrupt ending was the only part that seemed to throw me, but that's easily passable with such a great preceding song. Well done, remixer!

Corridor of Time, one of the themes I've heard on OCR so much that I know it without having had much experience with the game it came from. But that's not a bad thing, because just about every take is different and interesting or at the least enjoyable to listen to, and Argle's take is no different. A great ReMix to listen to with great production. Very nice.

• 2 months later...

The poor little brass sample sounds like it's just not cut out for the job and severely clashes with the awe-inspring rest, but for me, that effect actually adds something. The rest stays incredibly solemn, maybe even spiritual, while you can clearly tell that that goofy bleat is doing its best, and it actually manages to get closer to the other elements towards the end.

It's probably not even meant to be humorous, but I'm amazed by the uniqueness of a comedic element fitting into a very serious track without diminishing either aspect (the closest things I can think of would probably be some Earthbound mixes and Mak Eightman's Skull-Head).

I just listened to this for the first time and I can tell that it's going to be a favourite.

Edited by Octagon

• 1 year later...