New tradition - September is FLOOD MONTH!!

djpretzel

We're starting a new tradition this year of making September FLOOD MONTH...

• In addition to individual and double mixposts, on SOME days we'll be posting THEMED FLOODS of FIVE MIXES...
  • These themes could be centered around a system, publisher, series, ReMixer, composer, letter of the alphabet, or any shared characteristic (I'd personally love to see a "BAD MIXTITLE PUN" flood one day...)
  • In addition to being something we think will be a lot fun, this should also help us catch up with our (infamous) queue!
  • Our first flood is up, which is actually our SECOND flood of awesome SM64 mixes from Portrait of a Plumber - if you haven't checked the album out yet, enjoy, and even if you HAVE, please consider giving these artists feedback & kudos on the comments threads!
  • We'll be posting our NEXT FLOOD very early next week... stay tuned!!!

Thoughts & feedback on this idea welcome in this announcement thread!

A chance for another FF6 / Sonic CD flood? I'm game. </shamlessselfpromotion>

In all seriousness, I have a feeling that if one of these floods will have a huge amount of Sega in it, I feel as if it'll either be a huge new material block on Sega Mixer Drive or one that could spread out over weeks. But this is still a great way to let go of that queue!

Man, I remember a time back in 2005 when there was nothing in the queue left to be judged on... :lol:

I think this flood month thing is a great idea. I would personally like to see the following themed mixes…

Obscure Wii games

Games developed by Platinum Games

Games composed by Nobuo Uematsu (besides Final Fantasy)

Obscure X-Box games

Games for the Atari ST (seriously, you guys don’t have any for that system)

Handheld systems

Snow/Ice levels

Games for the eighth generation systems

Metal Gear spin-offs

SEGA franchises (excluding Sonic the Hedgehog)

RPGs from the last generation of systems

Obscure Genesis/Mega Drive games

Games developed by Treasure

The possibilities are endless!

Been saying this a lot over the years but I still don't think unloading a bunch of songs at once is fair to the remixers or the music, especially after waiting so many years for it to get out. A consistent schedule of 1 a day would be much more effective in the long run than one month of floods. I do like the project flood idea though :-)

Been saying this a lot over the years but I still don't think unloading a bunch of songs at once is fair to the remixers or the music, especially after waiting so many years for it to get out. A consistent schedule of 1 a day would be much more effective in the long run than one month of floods. I do like the project flood idea though :-)

I personally don't care, but I do see how it would be different for people who find getting their remix posted a bigger deal.

This idea specifically affects people who view through youtube, you'll find a lot of youtubers have a sort of schedule for uploading videos as that schedule allows them to get the most views and revenue and that ends up being screwed up by uploading a bulk of videos or by updating spontaneously. Totalbiscuit talks about this.

But I think it's a bit different for people who just upload music, I don't really go to any other channels like OCReMix so I'm not sure.

This is what came to my mind too the first time I saw the new announcement. As good idea as the flood is with album releases, putting out a bunch of songs at the same time diminishes the individuality of the pieces and reduces the possible attention paid to each one, or at least so it would seem... It's just more convenient to listen to that one new song a day rather than a whole bunch. Not to mention that artists deserve at least that one day to have their song at the top of the front page.

Already a new flood? Woah, that's quick, but good! How many did you plan for the whole month? :)

Should be at least three more, with individual mixes in between!

The only problem I see with this is that the attention is split between the whole set of posted ReMixes, rather than one or two, and that might decrease the number of people who comment. People might get overwhelmed.

Concerns duly noted; we're trying something out, we'll see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out, we won't repeat it.