*NO* Sonic CD (JP) 'Timekeeper'

Chimpazilla

Yeah, had to wait out the two week rule or whatever in order to submit this baby as well.

ReMixer name: G-Mixer

Email:

UserID: 39845

Name of game arranged: Sonic CD

Name of arrangement: “Timekeeper"

Name of song arranged: “Quartz Quadrant”

Comments:

This is the track I did for the Temporal Duality remix project. Somehow it didn’t make it into the mix flood cuz like yeah whatever fine. :P Let’s be honest, we all wanted to be on the mix flood, but that didn’t happen. Haha

I came in on the project pretty early when Rexy had begun generating interest in it, somewhere back in 2012. Almost immediately when it was decided that SuperiorX would direct the project, I came in begging to do Quartz Quadrant from the Japanese album. That track is one of my favorite tracks from any Sonic game. Unfortunately, another remixer had beat me to it, so I originally was doing a bonus remix of it. At some point, though, the original mix was dropped and I took the place of that track.

This whole entire mix was basically done just by messing around in Logic Pro. I started off just programming chip tune sounds and eventually, after several months, it was finished. This could possibly be the most fun I’ve ever had remixing anything, video game music or not. I was so utterly happy with how this one turned out. My goal of a remix is always to make myself want to hear what I remixed more than the original version. And I think I most definitely achieved that goal with this song.

Enjoy.

--Garrett Williamson--

-------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This track feels a little long to me, but I like the arrangement a lot. There is some really cool unique writing, instrumentation and sounds in this mix, and the soundscape is lush. Source use seems fine, I hear plenty of it with lots of fun interpretation.

I'm hearing quite a bit of mud though, in the lows and low mids primarily. The bass is taking up too much headroom in the lowest range, and ends up sounding too quiet and indistinct as a result. Some of the instruments have a lot of reverb and their tails are overlapping badly quite often. Also, I'm hearing some unwanted resonances from one or more timbres throughout the mix. I'm going to listen again and decide how much this all bothers me.

No, I'm not going to do that. These issues bother me. The track needs one more pass at the mixing, eqing the low and low mids and controlling the reverb tails, and taming some of the harsh resonances.

NO (resubmit please)

Edited by Chimpazilla

Well I'm busy tapping my foot to this right now. Some nice stuff here, in particular I'm a fan of some of your MJ inspired instrumental fills. Certainly having no problems identifying source, it's well represented with some nice original licks/soloing to make things your own. There is also a ton of variation here too, I never felt like I was revisiting the same thing twice, and that's a good thing. Lots of varied instrumentation as well.

Now to the production side. I think it would be a travesty to not give this mix another pass to obtain more clarity. It's decent enough, but I truly think the track would be more enjoyable if the elements were separated more, particularly on the low end side of the spectrum as Chimps' mentioned. If we can get that, I welcome this to the front page.

NO (borderline)

Edited by Jivemaster

Kristina & Joel pretty much covered it here, so I'll be relatively brief. Super creative arrangement. Really love the creative touches throughout in writing, chopping up samples, etc.

It gets problematic in the louder/busier sections with too many parts competing for space. Biggest offenders are :45, 1:26, 2:02, 3:02 (esp. 3:20). It sounds like there is some loud resonance/decay on some of the backing parts like the plucked guitar and pizz strings, which is causing them to take up more than their fair share of space. Better balance between background supporting parts (too loud) and the intended leads would help as well.

It was a bit long, but you managed to change things up quite effectively throughout, keeping me interested.

This is quite close to the mark actually. Get the clarity/balance/mixing a bit tighter and should be good to go. Great stuff overall, bring it back soon.

Guess that wasn't very brief after all

NO (borderline) resubmit, please