OCR00406 - Killer Instinct "Reflex"

Liontamer

• 1 year later...

This one’s nice! Interesting use of them sampled orchestral hits. I haven’t actually heard those used too much, but maybe I’m just not observant enough. I agree with djp’s original assessment that the snare could use some work, but I think that kind of depends on which part of the song you’re listening to. At, say, around 0:39 it could have been stronger, but I think at about 2:21 it works fine. So who knows? At any rate, I think this one's definitely worth a listen.

This is a pretty fun mix, overall. Sounds used are pleasant, the drum sequencing has interesting moments, and the overall presentation is good. There are enough changes to keep you interested throughout, and when I had finished listening to the song for this review, I happily put it back on. Can't ask for much more than that, IMO.

The drum sequence was pretty cool for the kind of beat that complements the piano. I feel like my only gripe for this mix writing-wise is that I wasn't completely down with the speeding up of the actual melody, as it sounded a little too fast and off-beat with the rest of the arrangement. It's a good, early ReMix on the theme, though, and it definitely managed to maintain interest by keeping segments fresh. Not bad.

• 4 weeks later...

The drum sequence was good, but really soft compared to the rest of the instruments used. I think I was more impressed with the bass work than anything else with this track. It does come across as a little repetitive, but at the same time, there was some effort in making this track varied. However, I think the soft percussion kind of set me off of this track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00406 - Killer Instinct "Reflex"