OCR03000 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Dark Storm'

djpretzel

Brilliant work. Brilliant idea for a remix concept, too. The nods to Riders of the Storm in the intro get the mood going well, then you realize that it really sounds like a Doors tribute band playing the Dark World from ALttP and all of a sudden your mind is blown. From the awesome keyboards/synth to the smooth guitar sounds, you really nailed the idea down to a T! It reminds me of Fishy's Beneath the Canopy remix from a few years back when he paid tribute to Pink Floyd in there. I really want more remix concepts like this, but I totally understand how difficult they are to make at times; you're walking a very thin line when trying to emulate certain mainstream hits into video game music remixes as you need to embrace the track's mood rather than follow its notes.

Congrats to 3000 remixes! Feels like yesterday when I was around for the 1000th and 2000th entries. I can't imagine this community getting this popular and this far so fast. What better way to celebrate than chilling to an ALttP remix.

Kinda wish that Track 3000 and Album 50 were both released on the site's 15th birthday. That would have burst some heads for sure.

First OCReMix I ever heard was KRool Intentions by Protricity. I found it on Youtube years after its posting (I think...2008? 2007?). Then I found Simian Symphony. Black Wing Metamorphosis. The Passing of the Blue Crown.

Album 40 got released, Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin. One of the best things I've ever listened too. And now I'm on a mad rampage to hear all of the albums on this site.

Noticed artists repeatedly appearing on the albums. Brandon Strader. Mazedude. Found their music on the prime site. I found the Shinesparkers and their Harmony series. Theophany has a Majora's Mask album on his own Bandcamp, and it is glorious.

One way or another, half of my iPhone's music is thanks to OCReMix. Thank you.

Just yesterday I was going through some older djpretzel mixes and saying "Man it has been a while since he put out another mix. I hope we get one soon." Looks like my wish came true! Before reading the mix info I was listening and immediately thought of The Doors. It is sounds exactly like if The Doors would have done a version of it, so you hit your target dead on.

I really love the atmosphere of this mix and style of this mix and it fits the source perfectly. Definitely downloading this one.

Well, congratulations on another colossally cool milestone, and thanks to every last OC ReMixer who helped achieve it! Like Cephalo, listening to the tunes coming out of this place opened new doors, windows, and mysterious floor panels to this amazing world/community. The next thing I knew, I had a thousand OC ReMix songs on my library and a podcast all about game music (which introduced me to new OC ReMix friends). So yeah, keep it up. It's a pretty good website, this.

Also, this was a skillfully executed idea and I'm duly impressed!

I love the chill take on this, and dat Archtop geetar. The lead guitar tone was a tad sharp, and it seems a little loud in volume, but it's no big deal. The emulation of The Doors is pretty spot-on. Even the thunderstorm SFX sounded really similar in tone. Heck, I think you made me like this more than Riders on the Storm. You didn't have an extreme rapid tremolo effect on the backing guitars---it was just right. :lol:

Seemed to be some dispute on the YouTubes about hearing the source, so I did a rough breakdown:

0:24 - 0:41

0:41 - 0:51

0:51 - 1:18

1:37 - 2:13

2:24 - 2:30

2:30 - 2:48

2:48 - 3:05

= 131/202 secs = at least 65% source, likely more, and I'm only looking for the most evident source usage, so... yeah, I think it's good. I mean, I even left out some timestamps that could've counted, so... :)

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone - and props to timaeus for the breakdown, too!

I didn't want to ramble on for too long in the writeup, but one of the reasons I wanted this to be #3000 is because I feel like it was kind of a risk, for me. It's not a genre that's rocket science, perhaps, but it's hard to get the details right with emulations, entirely in the digital realm. It's also not really a style I've done much work in, period, although it's the type of music I listen to all the time.

At any rate, I wasn't exactly sure if people would dig it and see in it what I see in it - the allure of the core idea of doing "Dark World" as a laid-back, somewhat trippy 60's rock groove. I'm really glad it resonated with more listeners than I thought it might, and it really motivates me to do more music in general. I may never return to this particular style ever again, but I'm glad I gave it a shot, and I'm glad it found an audience!

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone - and props to timaeus for the breakdown, too!

I didn't want to ramble on for too long in the writeup, but one of the reasons I wanted this to be #3000 is because I feel like it was kind of a risk, for me. It's not a genre that's rocket science, perhaps, but it's hard to get the details right with emulations, entirely in the digital realm. It's also not really a style I've done much work in, period, although it's the type of music I listen to all the time.

At any rate, I wasn't exactly sure if people would dig it and see in it what I see in it - the allure of the core idea of doing "Dark World" as a laid-back, somewhat trippy 60's rock groove. I'm really glad it resonated with more listeners than I thought it might, and it really motivates me to do more music in general. I may never return to this particular style ever again, but I'm glad I gave it a shot, and I'm glad it found an audience!

It also found that one guy who's convinced you lazily ripped from "Riders." I guess you can't please everybody :-P

A Doors style Dark World ReMix with a perfect stormy picture being painted with the sounds of thunder and rain is a wonderful way to celebrate the milestone OCR has reached. Tremendous work, DJP, you've really hit this one out of the ballpark. So many great remixes and memories have come out of this community and I look forward to seeing what happens as we go for another round.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...