OCR01813 - *YES* Tales of Symphonia 'Strike of the Devil's Axes'

djpretzel

this is my and carbo's track for the Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia project, Summoning of Spirits. we decided to submit in advance so it can be judged soon(er). and hopefully be submitted (if it gets acceepted) the day the project is released. not before that though, of course.

Remixers: LuIzA, CarboHydroM

Real Names: Luiza Carvalho, Christophe Blondel

userid: 10041, ?

Title: Strike of the Devil's Axes

Game: Tales of Symphonia

Platform: Gamecube

Year: 2003

now for a who did what:

me (LuIzA) - left lead guitar, right rhythm guitar, wah guitar, phased guitar(bridge), bass. mixing/mastering.

Carbo - right lead guitar, left rhythm guitar, ambient guitar(bridge), drum sequencing.

we changed lead guitar places on the bridge, btw, there's a change up on how(ambient/phased) rhythm guitars worked there, so just to add a little more taste hehe.

this song was amazingly fun to do, the arrangement came out nice and varied, both fitting our styles very well. we're both punk rock fans, so I figured we just had to work together for this song hehe.(interestingly too, it's the second time he's worked with a brazilian in a remix.. only with a girl, this time)

No production issues. The panning can be weird at times, a little unbalanced with some of the rhythm guitar favouring either channel. That aside, everything else sounds fine. Excellent guitar.

Love the change at 2:45. I was hoping for something new to happen soon. Good grunge going there. awesome wah guitar coming in at 3:08. The diverseness in the arrangement and guitar styles is reminiscent of goat's remixes for me (That's a good thing.)

Nice work lads. Hot stuff. I like my rock tracks a bit grungier, but this works out well.

YES

I agree with the Orichalcon in that it is quite obvious that the panned guitars are not equal in volume a lot of the time.

This is good work, especially considering the shortness of the original track. The original has been nicely expanded on, really rocked out. I like the wah guitar at 3.08! I think OC fans will appreciate a ReMix like this.

YES

Tales of Symphonia Original Soundtrack - (221) "Fatalize"

Ah, a submission with a female. Automatic YES, isn't that how it goes?

The track is imbalanced towards the right channel and could use some less distinct panning. The drum writing was ok, though the tone didn't quite gel with the guitar work for parts of the first 1:30 or so. Once the speed picked up, the percussion was fast, driving, and IMO more complimentary. I wish the bass presence was louder, as it didn't play much a factor until the (excellent) bridge section.

Short and sweet, this was a nicely personalized and interpretive arrangement, with plainly observable energy. Can't ask for more than that, and it's great to see LuIzA finally make her OCR debut. Listening to her previous submissions and her material from Dwelling of Duels over the past year, she's come a long way with her work.

Certainly hope to see both Christophe and Luiza both submit some solo material in the future. Of course, strong synergistic collabs like these are also welcome. Solid work y'all, and a good representative of KyleJCrb's Summoning of Spirits. Looking forward to hearing more from the project.

YES