PRC282 - Results - Making Illusions of Gotham (Batman + Illusion City)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 282

PRCv11-22

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last round Gercr selected an Earthworm Jim 1 source, and 7 entries appeared. Sir Nuts and Grauw collected 17 points and tied for the win. This means that there are two sources this time. MushroomSword claimed the third place.

Source 1:

Hello Kevin,

For the next PRC, I will take a page from my friend showroom dummy's book and pick Batman for the Gameboy, the Gotham City theme.

http://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/Batman_-_Gotham_City.mid

Source 2:

Hey,

Here’s my pick: Illusion Theme A from Illusion City (MSX, 1991)

Video (1): http://youtu.be/Etqc9Si5Jyw

Video (2): http://youtu.be/7o57QHj8stk

MIDI (1): http://www.grauw.nl/etc/music/midi/illusioncitymidis_gm/illusiontheme1.mid

MIDI (2): http://www.grauw.nl/etc/music/midi/illusioncitymidis_gm/illusiontheme1cadence.mid

MIDI (3): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/miscellaneous/msx/illusion.mid

Note the first video is the best source, it is recorded straight from the hardware and brings out the details of the song much better. The second is emulated but I made it to show the intro demo along with the music.

The first two MIDI files are also recorded straight from the source (the game has MIDI version of the music as well, the second is a small variation used later), the last one is an arrangement.

Thanks for organising the compo :), regards,

Grauw

PRC282.jpg

Source 1: Batman (GB) - Stage 1: Gotham City

MIDI 1 or check the Vgmusic link in the quote above.

Game Wikipedia

The game wikipedia from Batman seems to not exist, so I just link to a list of Batman games.

Source 2: Illusion City (MSX) - Intro

MIDI 1 or check the alternative MID's in the quote from Grauw. MIDI 2 MIDI 3

Youtube 1 or Youtube 2

Game Info

I can only find a Dutch wikipedia page, but since most of you can't read that, I decided to post a Gamefaqs link instead.

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page a ThaSauce account is required.

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce.

To register and submit, do the following.

1. Click the ThaSauce link.
  2. Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  3. Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  4. Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  5. Continue the process by filling in your information.
  6. A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.
  7. Login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC instructions

1. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes). If anyone has problems with uploading songs to ThaSauce let me know (in this thread) and post a download link to your song in this thread (so I can upload it to ThaSauce).
  2. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by Monday October 27th 2014 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT): check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  3. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread
  4. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  5. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  6. The winner of this round may select the source for PRC283.
  7. You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

For those interested, I did sort of a mix (using Automixing of Deckadance) of several (mainly dance) PRC tracks of the past 10 years (mainly tracks in season 1-5). More information, and the mix of course, can be found at this Soundcloud link!

Doulifee's PRC Archives! For information about the previous contests.

PRC ThaSauce Home Page!

Edited by Bundeslang

I'm assuming it's the same as in previous rounds with several sources: you need to use either of the tracks, but you're an extra cool person if you combine them both. But that will not necessary earn you more points, unless a voter thinks it's a deciding factor for themselves.

Cool sources both! Personally I have to slow down with all the music making though..

I'm assuming it's the same as in previous rounds with several sources: you need to use either of the tracks, but you're an extra cool person if you combine them both. But that will not necessary earn you more points, unless a voter thinks it's a deciding factor for themselves.

Cool sources both! Personally I have to slow down with all the music making though..

Exactly. Remixing one of the sources is enough, but remixing both in one song is encouraged.

Mr. Meits, who composes his music in a unique set-up, made a nice video for his entry :).

http://youtu.be/yfCiFaUzV-E

Hi...

It turned out that there are two false notes in the original track... These seem to be masked by the choice of instruments...

My headphones didn't really pick them up that clear, but my speakers did...

Since I've already submitted the entry there's not that much I can do about it anymore, so I've peace with it...

The way I "composed" this one was using a custom MIDI hack of a WAVE tracker for MSX'es Moonsound... Unfortunately this program still turns out to be unreliable concerning tempo stability (I had to do a little stretching in this one)... When I wanted to record a corrected version of the track with the false notes it ran totally out of sync... So I won't use this combo again... Ever... Pity I used it this time, hoping my onechipMSX would keep the speed balanced playing it on a higher clock frequency...

I'm what you call an old school tracker... I started to use this tracked on its release in the early nineties and never had the urge to find a better tracker, especially not on pc... There are some ways to use my synthesizers with that tracker, but they're quite labor sensitive :D

Have a good one with this compo... Looking forward to the other Illusion City entries...

I'm just glad the last round was a tie. Given the interest in my source, I would certainly have killed PRC again XD.

Nothing wrong with your source, mate! I listened to it and quite liked it. It's just that i'm still an MSX user and dug the Illusion City track for ages without ever remixing it. So you can consider my track as catching up on a missed opportunity in stead of criticism on your source ;)