OCR00550 - Final Fantasy IV "Rydia's Chocobo"

orkybash

Final Fantasy IV 'Rydia's Chocobo'

The first thing that hits me is NoppZ's usual and always appreciated reggae, then the original minor key version of the chocobo theme, which I found to be very creative. Though that was probably the highlight of the mix, the rest of it is good, save for the questionable transitions between the Choco theme and Rydia's theme, the fact that I really don't care for the flute sound used, and the fact that it's maybe a tad long. Still, I would definitely recommend this.

• 4 weeks later...

My good god in heaven above, I love this song, but I am supremely dissapointed with the flute in Rydia's theme, which ruins the effect completely. The vibrato was WAY too overdone, and is a nice effect except I'm sure that a non-vibrato flute would have soared a lot easier, and sounded much nicer, as it is it ends up sounding rather off and annoying, which is a dissapointment.

Now on the other hand, the vibrato works perfectly in the Chocobo theme, which I guess is just the way the song goes, but the Rydia one would have fared much better with a non-vibrato.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

madd phat riddims. arrangement itself is tight. i love how the first minute is dedicated to that reggae bassline (it ownz Badly), transitions into a sweet despairing melody, and ends the last minutes on the bassline again. there’s a few songs that claim to be reggae on OC but this is the only one i’ve come across so far that has commercial appeal. now to get Hot 97 to pick this up.. ;)

• 1 month later...

This song is absolutely great. Contrary to the others, I love the Rydia's theme part. The flute was great and was very catchy. I saw nothing wrong with the transitions, the two themes seemed to compliment each other quite nicely. All in all I loved the upbeat style of this song. Nice work!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Dude, you can´t OWN a chocobo, it´s one of God´s creatures man! I mean, man, that´s like wacko, fella.

Seriously, good song. I liked the flute in Rydia´s theme, but not the one in the chocobo theme, that one was slightly annoying. A very funky mix overall, that can the dude himself say.

Nice work Noppz.

• 3 months later...

A nice working together of the Rydia and Chocobo theme, with a reggae feel no less, mon. It's got a lot of character, and I always liked that in a piece. The transitions are well done, too. Unfortunately, it's a little too straight forward, so by the end you're a little bored with it.

• 1 year later...

The bassline and production is really nice, and the minor key chocobo theme is sweet, with a smooth shift to major. The flute on Rydia annoys me not because of the sound of the flute, but there are some sour notes, and the transition to it from the chocobo theme is way too abrupt. As for the feel of this, the sounds are pristine, and if it got rid of the sour notes and awkward transition, It'd be a classic.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Heh, nice start out here with the reggae feel. Listening, and knowing what the source was, I was worried how the chocobo theme was gonna work in this context. So when the flute lead came in, I think it was a mixed result. The sample doesn't sound bad, but the back-and-forth panning kind've gets annoying on headphones after a while. He obviously had to modify the melody quite a bit to get it to work. Rydia's theme works better out of the two in general. With a stronger lead that fits the context of the song better, I think this could've been quite a bit better, but it's not a bad song either in its own right.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00550 - Final Fantasy IV "Rydia's Chocobo"