Donkey Kong Country 2 - Krook's March (metal arrangement)

Mortar

I started work on this a while ago but I never got around to finishing it until now:

I know the mix leaves much to be desired but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm mixing, lol. Any constructive criticism is welcome and let me know what you think.

Edited by Mortar

Nice guitar tones and playing! Arpeggios are very clean!

When you switch from the orchestral intro to the metal section, the tempos don't match. Maybe it was intentional, but it feels super weird to me.

I honestly feel the production is very good. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can point mixing errors but I like it!

This is quite cool! I'm sure aware that the arrangement wouldn't pass by OCR standards but I don't think that matters :-P

It was just a timing issue on the genre switch. The tempo is still about the same, but the playing was rushed early on. I think the lead guitar is too loud, and the intro had too much bass. It's overcompressed. Other than that I'm not wearing my good headphones right now, so I don't really have much to say about the mixing. I don't think there's not enough development in the arrangement to warrant the length. 1:54 is OK, if the structure is changing quite often. It would be easier to make the remix longer and add more dynamic dropoffs and variation to add more substance to the listen. This sounds like it could have gone at least 30 more seconds.

Edited by timaeus222

Thanks. Yeah, the tempo change was intentional. I wanted to pick up the pace a little, maybe it's too abrupt but I liked it that way. As for the length, I am thinking of doing a medley and after this ends I wanted to jump into a different song immediately, which is why it ends so sudden. It doesn't work as well on its own I suppose but I wanted to gauge people's interest in an arrangement like this primarily to see if it's worth doing an entire medley.

As for the mix, like I said, very inexperienced so your criticism is very welcome. :D

And yeah, I am a pretty inexperienced composer so it doesn't surprise me that the song structure could be better. Any tips on that are appreciated too.

Also, that sweep at the beginning was done faster than the rest intentionally. Does it sound weird? I didn't think it would be interpreted as a tempo issue.

Edited by Mortar

pretty sweet. i think you need a little more mixing because while everything sounds awesome by itself, it's covering everything else up. you need to eq the tracks so that the drums have a place in the high end and more power in the low end. for example if you hi pass your guitars at 125, i bet that will clear up a bit of the low end for your drums and bass.

i was diggin the track, but it ended abruptly. i think you did that on purpose because of the scream but it didn't work for me.

nice playing. if i could play guitar like that i would get an extension cord, plug my amp up in the middle of the street and play until a fine ass woman inevitably approached me asking can she please have the sex with me. and i would say sure, as soon as i am done playing this song, because it is sexier than you because i am playing it. that kind of stuff.

so. work on mixing, getting your tracks to all be heard well without getting in the way of the others (EQ)--look for mixing tutorials on youtube or better yet grab you a couple books on amazon. better production will make you stand out from all the other youtube shredders who make me contemplate suicide when i see their videos.

Haha, thanks man. The reason it ends abruptly is because it's going to be part of a medley and the point where it ends is where it should transition into a different song. I didn't want to make it too long for that same reason.

I would probably play in the middle of the street if it weren't for the fact that I haven't been able to get this one chick out of my head for years now. Oh, well, what can you do, right? :P

And yeah, I should delve some more into EQing metal tracks. Appreciate the advice.